After School Sickness?

My 1st grader DD will sometimes get off the school bus in the afternoon saying she feels like she's going to throw up. She'll come in the house and lay in my bed and either watch TV or fall asleep for an hour or so and then (usually) she comes down and says she feels fine. This happens anywhere from 1-2 times a week to 1-2 times a month.

I've wondered if maybe she's getting car sick on the bus (lots of hilly and windy back roads), but she says she feels fine when she gets to school every morning. So I'm starting to wonder if maybe just the fact of being worn out from a long day at school is causing this...and the rest that she does after she gets home is all she needs to feel better.

Anyone else have a kid who does this?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Chances are it's the bus. The increase in temp in the afternoon tends to cause the fumes of gas/old bus smell to intensify which can cause headache and nausea (especially when it's been sitting all afternoon with the windows up after a morning run).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Well she is worn out and then the bus ride on top of it maybe just over load
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• It could be a combination of those things. I know my 11 y/o gets in her moods after school & just needs to unwind or she is impossible. They could be tired, mentally drained, etc. I think it's good that she is allowed to lay down til it passes.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I live in FL, and I remember when I was in high school, the bus ride home was miserable. No a/c on the bus to combat the heat, and as Kristi mentioned, the gas fumes are intensified. Unfortunately, unless you're about to take her to and from school, there's not a whole lot you can do about that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Yup, it's probably a combination of the bus ride & being tired from school. My Son just recently threw up on his way to school. He said the ride was bumpy & he was really hot in his coat.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Warm days and gas fumes are a bad combination, oftn causing nausea. Does your daughter sit near the back of the bus? The fumes are the worst there; you might recommend that she finds a seat in the middle.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• My kids car ride 99% of the time, when they do ride the bus thy never get sick
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2013