MY TODDLER ON A DIET (FOLLOW UP)

MY SON IS 2 AND WEIGHS 43 POUNDS. I ASKED A QUESTION EARLIER IF IT WAS NORMAL TO PUT A TODDLER ON A DIET. HE IS 38 INCHES. BUT WHAT I NEED TO CLARIFY IS THAT HE DOES NOT EAT A TON OF JUNK FOOD. HE DOES NOT GET TWINKIES CAKES COOKIES CHIPS HE HAS NEVER HAD A TASTE OF POP AND HIS JUICE IS CUT WITH WATER. WE HAVE BEEN COUNTING HIS CALORIES FOR ABOUT A YEAR. AND HE IS STILL GAINING WEIGHT. HE IS EXTREMLY ACTIVE!! SOME OF THE ANSWERS MADE IT SOUND LIKE I WAS GIVING HIM WHAT EVER HE WANTS, BUT I DON'T.

calaloni

Asked by calaloni at 11:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have a boy at our daycare who is 3 and is 63 lbs....yes he is big. His mother has took him for extensive testing b/c she claims he eats fine, no junk, ect. and he is actually picky and refuses what we have at school a lot. All of his test come back normal? So they are not sure about his weight gain either.

Have you had him checked out by the Dr? Maybe a specialist to rule out any issue?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Have you spoken to your doctor about this? I would be concerned but it may in the normal range and I don't know it. My concern would be about something in his metabolism or some sort of excessive growth/genetic issue. I would ask his doctor before I did anything. See what they say.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• wow- my four year old was 42 pounds at her last check up... perhaps a thyroid issue???
    Has he seen a doctor? a doctor could let you know if a nutritionist can help.
    also are you sure no one else is feeding him the nastiness?
    My four year old is babysat by mamaw and we have gone around and around about the kind of food mamaw thinks is okay for her. she will let them have spoons of cool whip and bologna for a snack if that's what they ask for... (cool whip is sugar free but still...) sigh
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 11:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My 7 yr old weighs 46 lbs and is very tall, but he's also very skinny. He eats very healthy, and a lot. He gets junk food sometimes just b/c he doesn't gain any weight, even with junk food. So, I don't know if your son would be considered overweight or not. I would say, if you are concerned, talk to his dr. If his dr feels he needs a diet, then I would definitely make sure the diet is well supervised by the dr, with a letter or something from the dr to show to anyone who says anything to you about it (daycare, nosy neighbors/friends/relatives). I would not just put him on a random diet, b/c kids, overweight or not, still need a lot of nutrients, and you could unintentionally cut out a lot of them even though you think what you are feeding him is very healthy. Don't listen to just anyone though - my son's school has tried to tell me he's underweight and I'm starving him. He eats a ton, and is well within normal range, just thin
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Ok- I went to your profile and read that though your LO is really active, he isn't walking yet. That could be a big reason why he is "heavier". Generally a LO that is walking is burning tons more calories than one that isn't. Even if the info is a little outdated and he just started walking, it still will take some time to thin out.
    I think as long as he has plenty of healthy food options, you're doing ok, momma.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My 2 year old is 37 lbs and 40 inches tall. We don't have to put her on a diet we just limit juice and milk . No junk . SHe is walking has been since 13 months and is NEVER sits still !!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• He just might be a big boy . My hubby and I have never been small either so our daughter is bound to be big .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There is obviously a reason for it or the cardiologist wouldn't have recommended it. As mentioned by other posters on your previous thread, it's not a "lose weight" diet, but more of a healthy lifestyle change for him.

It's not going to hurt him, it will only benefit your entire family.

My 5 year old is about 45 inches and 44lbs.
    My 3 year old is about 40 inches and 35lbs.
    My 2 year old is about 35 inches and 30lbs.

They are all at the top of the charts, but their height and weights "average out" well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Calaloni, I was one who thought "junk & juice" might be the culprit. But if he's 38" & 43 lbs, I don't see a problem at 2 yrs old. Other posters read your journal about him not walking at 18 mos, but he is now, and between 2-3 they start catching up with their height. I really wouldn't worry about it, esp. if he isn't eating junk. And seriously, we can't compare 3, 4, 5 yr olds with the build and stature of a 2 yr old. Especially a late walker. I'd SO get a 2nd doctor's opinion (unless there is something else we don't know....). As I stated before, my nephew hit 23 lbs at 4-5 mos, about 29 lbs by 12 mos, (we were SO worried that he'd need a wheelchair before Pre-K!) and was 39" and 41 lbs at age 27 mos. (PS, my niece was 37" & 37lbs at age 4, they are 2 yrs apart, but again, you can't compare a toddler with a pre-K! LOL! PS-His mom his 4'9 ish! His dr predicts he will be 6'4 to 6'6 at his current growth rate! Hang in there! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ah yes, the ever present weight issues. I was worried because the first one was underweight. They made me go over what I fed her at her check ups, and the doc's comment was "child eats well."

At the second one's six month check up, the doc walked in the room and said, "There's no such thing as an obese breastfed baby." Obese. I spent the next week freaking out.

I saw that the baby walked a bit later than average. I would expect him to stretch into his weight within the next year, and possibly not gain much more for a couple of years. Once my baby started getting going, her weight dropped into the 50th percentile. Height, she's still a 110.

Remember, tho, there's no law saying that you have to give the little guy juice. Straight up water is good. Milk is good. Whole fruit is really good. Just a thought.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009