Do you ever wish that you could go back in time & talk to yourself in the past.....

to prevent yourself from doing some of the things that you have done?

I do.

I also wish when I reply to a relationship question here that the person asking the question would listen to what I say!

No one ever guided me & I wish there was something like CafeMom back 20 years ago.

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 7:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• I would go back and tell myself to run away from home at 14. Some really bad things happened to me between 14 and 18. Being in a foster home would have been stopped me from almost being raped by my stepfather at 17

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Only one: I'd go back and tell myself not to marry my ex. He proposed in front of a group of our mutual friends so I felt pressured to say yes. While we were dating he was sweet and attentive and a great person. Once we got married he became jealous and possessive-abusive. Six months after we got married I was filing for divorce. He left his one and only bruise on my 21st birthday.

That was one experience I really didn't need to go through. I'd been through enough shit like that growing up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Only on a couple things. Then again I wouldn't be who I am today.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Not really to prevent myself from doing things I did, but more like to kick my ass into doing things I should have done.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I would have told myself not to settle.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Even if I could go back in time and tell my 14 year old self to not do the stupid thing I did. That led up to me having a child at 17. I do not think I would listen to myself. I was a stubborn kid.

Answer by louise2 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Yes, my life would be a whole lot different - starting with real estate purchases.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• yes, YES YES YES
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I wish this was possible. I would tell myself to distance myself from my parents and to not try to have a relationship with my father. I would also tell myself to buy gold when it was still $400 an ounce, move to Vegas right out of high school, and sell all our property at the height of the real estate boom here.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I don't think a lot about specific things/choices that I would go back and change, but I look back with greater understanding for myself and since certain things were kind of "pivotal" I do wish I had understood things/myself better at certain times. There is so much that could have been different in terms of my responses to situations, or actions taken/not taken, but I just didn't understand a different way to be with those feelings or a different way to respond, or I didn't understand what needs I was trying to meet.

I do wish I could parent my newborn babies again. I just think I have a different capacity for being really emotionally available, now, that I believe it would be different. I wish I could have that again, for them & for me. I don't feel like that's "necessary" in order to have things be better in the present (I do strongly believe it would make the present/future different.) I don't feel trapped or fatalistic.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2013