Finding birth parents on Facebook? Do you find this offensive?

Wow, today I shared one of my friend's daughter's pictures who is looking for her birth parents, the adoptive mother asked me to share it. I got a message from another friend who has adopted children, and he informed me how insensitive it was to adoptive parents, I messaged him back, and said the mother asked me to share it for her kid, he said he couldn't believe I have turned into that kind of parent?
I was pretty amazed he was so angry, the child was born in my hometown around the time I was in college, so it is very likely that someone I know may know of her? Wrong or right way to find your birth parents?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 8:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Adoption

• You were asked by the adoptive parent, so as long as they were on board I dont find anything wrong with it, its not like you went out and did it on your own, if the adoptive Mother is ok with it, why shouldnt this man be, who has nothing to do with it! Does he realize it was the adoptive Mother that asked you to share it?

I applaud the adoptive Mother for being that way and helping her child to find her birth Mother, I have much respect for that, unlike the adoptive father your talking about, I think often adoptive parents fail to accept that the birth Mother gave them the most precious gift they will ever receive!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I don't see it as offensive. If a child was adopted and wishes to see out their birth parents, that is their right, and they have the right to use whatever means and methods are available to them. Sounds like maybe your friend is a bit insecure about being an adoptive parent. Maybe his child is old enough to start looking for his/her birth parents and he's feeling a little worried?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• There is no right or wrong way to find your birth parents. A kid has a right to know who their biological birth parents are.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 8:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Nobody is forcing anyone to respond to that. And when exactly did wanting to know where and who you came from become all about protecting the adoptive parents?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Nope, that's fine as long as everyone is consenting!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I see no problem with that since you were ASKED to share it. I think someone is just a bit touchy. What is right for some may not be right for others but that doesn't make it 'wrong'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Facebook is just another form of social networking, so why not?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I'm looking for my sister(who was adopted at birth) on Facebook
    I'm not having much luck

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I don't think that is offensive at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• It might be sort of an abrupt way to be found, I guess, but there's no law that says an adoptive parent has to respond.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2013