How can I find the (un)employment rate for a particular profession in my state?

I am trying to decide what I am going to get my degree in (or if I should wait to get my degree). I am undecided between elementary education teacher or a 5th-8th grade science/history teacher. I currently work at a school and I know that we will only have 1 position open (teacher retiring) and that position will be filled by moving a parapro who is certified into that position. There is a college in my town that graduates about 60-80 elementary teachers a year. I am not sure about middle school science teachers and the need in my area. 

On one hand I think it would be best for me to go the elementary education route since I already have my foot in the door. On the other hand, my long term career goals would lean more toward middle school science since I want to get my Master's degree in Outdoor Education. 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• Occupational Outlook Handbook. There should be an online version.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• what is your state
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Georgia. I looked at the BLS website and it is very vague in its description of what the outlook for teachers are in the next 7 years.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• do any of these help?

here
    here
    here

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Feralxat, the first one helped a bit. Not sure if they are still doing that or if it just applies to high school teachers who teach very high leveled classes but I will look into it. As far as salary, I pretty much know all of that info. I am more looking for the need of teachers and in what subjects.

Tyfry7496, this is exactly what I was looking for. I knew it was on the BLS website but couldn't find it because I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks!

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2013