How long after pregnancy does it take for your abdominal muscles to "re-connect"

You know what I mean? For that gap to close? I heard you weren't supposed to do abdominal exercises before the gap closes. My baby is 4 months old and I think it's still open.

I'd like to tone up but not at any risk

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 11:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I hate to say it, but mine never closed after my oldest son. He's going to be 11 in June. I can still do sit-ups and I wouldn't necessarily say I'm weak in the middle, but I'm not exactly strong, either. When I am flat on my back, I can feel in the middle where the gap is. Gross when I think about it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• How long has it been now? I'm obviously not a doctor, but at this point, I would probably try and just be really slow and careful at first. Maybe Google around and see what you can come up with. How much of a gap is left? My doctor said it was an inch and a half at that first year mark, but it doesn't feel that wide to me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• not sure, ask your Doc, have them feel your stomach also everyone heals differently
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Oh and my doctor mentioned it when my oldest was a year old, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Okay, so I'll just do it anyway? No excuses?

I don't work, I'm not married, I don't have any health insurance.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• never had a disconnect ( that i know of) and have never been told after to worry past the normal 6 weeks. but i also never had a C-section and know they are under different restrictions
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2013