Today I was in Steubenville & ugh just ugh

It seriously sickened me to be in that town amid all of the mess going on there.
I can not believe tht people are threatening the victim. I'm glad the girls got arrested, I would never admit I was from there if that's where I lived, I would be so ashamed of my town. :(

How do you feel about the case?

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 11:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• They tried tell folks that the pic ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ was fake, it was a set up, or a joke. That doesn't look fake to me or a joke. Most boys would wantr their mugs on camera and smiling with a smart ass expression. BTW, some of this is also directed at AllaboutKeely, forgot to quote.
    AllaboutKeely--I wasn't suggesting the town was covering it up but they were trying to down play it. Which is why they got a special prosecutor and a court room judge to over see the trial. There was so much of the 'boys club' or the "good 'ol boys club" and conflict of interest out the ass!! That poor girl would never have seen the justice if it was up to the original judge and the prosecutor. They may have tried blaming it on her, and they did try that. Thats why that hacking group did what they did.
    I grew up in a small town in Nebraska and I graduated from a school that was so small, my graduating class was 41 kids. I know what goes on there
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I think of it as an example of what's going on in far too many places for far too long - and the fault lies not with only the school, but the entire community that encourages that culture. Wrestlers were being sexually assaulted by teammates as a hazing ritual at a high school a few towns over from here - same deal - town, coaches, and school protect its star athletes and everyone turned a blind eye for years until FINALLY someone had the courage to speak up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Okay, that is seriously not true

It's kind of sad how much effort you're putting into downplaying this. They've already arrested TWO girls, not 1, for death threats towards the victim. The state prosecutor has no issue calling it a rape case, and discussing the rapists who were arrested. He feels no need to sugar coat what they did and try to make it sound like a lessor offense. The fact that things like this are covered up in more towns does not excuse this town, even if you do live nearby.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• What happened??

A sixteen year old girl was sexually assaulted by members of the football team, 2 were convicted this week, and the town (and some media) are sympathizing with the rapists to the point that the victim has received death threats
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I just read all of this and I am rarely here and all I am going to say about it is

digital or DICK its rape and it is WRONG.This girl will forever be scarred and this will NEVER go away for her.

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I don't live in Steubenville, but I do live only about 15 miles away. Steubenville is our "big city" in this area. In all honestly, everything about this case sickens me. It has become such a media circus that it is hardly even about the victim anymore. This kind of stuff happens everywhere and to see it on national news and Dr Phil and Anonymous getting involved.....why pick this incident to place all the attention when there are so many more out there that deserve as much, if not more attention?

But no, I have nothing against Steubenville. It's where I go shopping and out to eat...I was just at one of their libraries this morning. There is no type of person that lives here that doesn't live in any other town...wish to God people would quit judging an entire town on the actions of just a handful of people.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• AAK are you defending these football players, or just trying to throw the case under the rug like so many have done?
    Just trying to understand where you're coming from.
    Why shouldn't this case be exposed??
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• The shame here is in the way the media is handling the case. Mourning the football players "lost careers", and "ruined lives", and the defense attorneys stating that since she didn't "emphatically say no" that it wasn't rape.
    The whole thing is disgusting.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• seriously allabout.....you are bitching about a town being vilafied?? THATS your concern?
    WOW.
    Priorities people. Priorities.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Two players assaulted her and two players were convicted on Sunday morning. It wasn't a case where the entire football team or even a few members gang raped her. She was digitally raped. (Please know I am not making light of anything that was done to Jane Doe (as she is known around here), her violation was horrible, but making it sound worse than it was isn't helping anyone). The victim received a death threat from one of the convicted rapist's cousins via Facebook. "The town" is not sympathizing with the convicted rapists....

Where in the world are you getting your information?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2013