CIO- alternatives?

k, so if you don't use CIO, how do you get your baby to sleep through the night, and when did they start sleeping through the night? Also I want to know if you didn't use CIO with your baby did you start when they were older, and do you have to do this eventually if you want your kid to sleep through the night?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• My friend used the book On Becoming Baby Wise. They don't use the CIO method.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have NEVER used CIO... My oldest is 2.5 and sleeps "okay"... He has nightmares but sleeps through the night if he doesn't... We read him a book and lay with him til he is asleep... He likes that.

My baby is only 18 months and we are still co-sleeping and nursing. He is usually asleep before he's done nursing... If not we just rock him and pat his butt... He has gas problems but on a good night sleeps 6 hours before he wakes up... And then usually just checks to see we are still here and goes back to sleep...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My first 4 slept through the night at about 4 months, I never did anything and they never CIO. My fifth didn't. At 21 months I decided to teach him because I have a baby due anyday now. I read "The No Cry Sleep SOlution" by Elizebeth Pnatley and in about a week he was sleeping through the night. I have never and will never let a child CIO.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• first of all, depending on the age of your baby, 5 hours is considered 'a night's sleep.'
    babies need to eat throughout the night and they will sleep through the night once that need is no longer present.
    changes in routine, growth spurts or the meeting of milestones(teething, crawling, walking, etc) can all interfer with a baby's sleep pattern.
    babies cry for a reason and that's why i do not use CIO.
    check out some of the groups here on cafemom for more info on alternatives to CIO.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I hate the way 'Cry it Out' has gotten such a horrible rap. Not that I think tha one method is better than another. I think every parent is differnt and every child is differnt to. My son did great with the Baby wise method. My daughter had to cry it out( we would go in and pat her on the back every 15 min or so til she fell asleep). Though we only did it one nap at a time. When she started sleeping through that nap we let her cry out another until we were taking our naps. Night sleep was never an issue for either child. baby wise is a good book but even that recomends some amount of crying it out. There are a lot of great books out there. Read several an try one method at a time giving each a good week as a 'trial period' You'll find one that works!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I never used CIO nor would I ever. There are way too many parenting methods to use the one that has studies showing that it could be damaging.  Sleep is a developmental milestone reached in baby's own time pushing baby only makes things harder for both caregiver and baby. DS slept through the night at about 15 months. We co-slept and I transferred him to a crib once he slept through the night. We did not use any method except following his cues and of course a routine (bath, bed at the same time, etc). He is almost 4 and an amazing sleeper and very independent. The only time he has a restless sleep is if he is sick or getting sick.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 2:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My first child was never a good sleeper as a baby though once we started co-sleeping it got better.

With my second I co-slept from birth and she was a great sleeper.

When my first was 2 and my second 3, dh would put them to sleep in their own rooms and stay with them until they were asleep; after a couple of weeks they did it on their own.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010