Anyone familiar or have dealt with the "ammyy.com" USA over the phone scam?

Yeah I have been struck. I really must pay more attention to the "current scams". My husband too. At least if I would have known about it I may have thwarted my husband's falling for it.
Anyway...

Today we got a phone call. Our caller id said it was "unavailable". You would think this would raise a red flag, but we've had legitimate calls from places we know that use that particular call sign.
My husband decided to answer the phone. A fellow with an foreign accent told my husband he worked as Microsoft tech support. They had "detected" our computer had a dangerous virus. My husband held out. He told him it sounded like a scam.

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 12:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Technology

• that is AWFUL and bizarre ... good for you guys catching it!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I agree you should contact someone to co e and check your computer. Thanks for the info.  Don't feel bad, we can all fall for a scam at some point in time.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I agree with Crafty on this one! No one has permission to access my computer!

I'm not always on top of scams but if I'm unfamiliar to whom is calling, I don't answer my phone.
    I'm sorry this happened to you, but as Crafty said, it's time to cancel any and all important accounts you may have, as well as passwords.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• WOW... seriously... some one you didn't contact just asked to connect to your PC an you opened the door and let them in! You wouldn't let a stranger in your house... why would you let them on your PC. They not only most likely ghosted your PC while connected, but they also now have all passwords that you have auto saved in your cache!! Your screwed. Better change your bank passwords like NOW... from a different PC. Good luck with this one... your hosed! 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• The worst part is that the actually ammyy site is legit....but these guys piggy back on it. The Federal Trade Commission is currently filing a lawsuit against this...but it is a slow go. The FBI also have it on their site as well.
    With the fact that they have our computer information, our router information...well I feel COMPLETELY naked to this attack. I refuse to turn off the computer in fear that all these changes this guy made will take effect. I've read that they can create your computer into a bot that they use to scam others, or that they shut it completely down.
    truetigress

Comment by truetigress (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• We couldn't reply back. All this had been while my husband was talking to him over the phone.
    Now things got goofy because he had hung up and was posting to my husband in a notepad file. At this point I saw the writing errors as he tried to get my husband to answer back. When we finally found out that he couldn't spell that was when the bells and whistles really starting going off in my head. He posted this....
    OK
    WE ARE SORRY THAT YOU ARE FAILED TO REGISTER WITH US.
    THERE COULD BE A SERVER ISSUE.
    WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITHIN THIS WEAK..
    IS THAT OK WITH YOU ?
    RPLY-yes
    THANK YOU !
    HAVE A GREAT DAY AHEAD !
    WE ARE GOING TO DISCONNECT THE REMOTE SESSION FROM OUR END AND THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS AS YOU WISH..
    THANK YOU !
    :)
    THE REMOTE SESSION IS GOING TO END IN 10 SECONDS THANK YOU..
    COUNT DOWN STARTS NOW

Then the remote connection disconnected but the "avatar" for the ammyy.com remain
    truetigress

Comment by truetigress (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• The guy then convinced my husband to check our "Windows event viewer". He had confirmed how many red x's and yellow hits we had truly taken over the years. We thought at this point it must be legit. So we allowed him to remotely connect to our computer. He checked on different things and we could see that the cursor was moving to where he was checking. Then he stopped and told us to continue we needed to download the Google Chrome. I'd heard of google chrome before and so we continued. He was able to learn our home computer information. He even found our router...and he knows I have a laptop.
    We thought he was legitimate with all this "personal" information so we continued. He then asked us if we'd like to renew our Microsoft services for a year, 2 years , or for a lifetime. Well next thing we know he's asking us to use Western Union to send him our credit card and password. It was about this time I was starting to get suspi
    truetigress

Comment by truetigress (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2013