What color is justice?

Planting Peace protests Westboro Baptist Church with rainbow-colored Equality House

By Matt Algarin

Published: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Two Destin residents are taking the fight against hatred into the front yard of the Westboro Baptist Church.

As part of an anti-bullying campaign, Aaron Jackson and Davis Hammet joined other members of Planting Peace Tuesday morning painting the home they own across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church in the rainbow colors of the gay pride flag.

"The concept is to show that where there is hate, there is also love," said Jackson, the founder of Planting Peace, a progressive nonprofit organization based in Destin that aims to “spread peace in a hurting world.” “There is no better place to counterbalance hate than at the Westboro Baptist Church."

They call the home Equality House and say the house “will stand as a visual reminder of our commitment, as global citizens, to equality for all.”

"This home, beyond the powerful imagery of what it represents, is also going to be used as a place for our volunteers to live in," he said. "We are going to spread the word of the 'silent genocide' affecting our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender population.”

According to records from the Shawnee County, Kansas, property appraiser, the home is located just a short walk down the street from the Westboro Baptist Church.

The church was founded in 1955 by Pastor Fred Phelps, according to its website, and "engages in daily peaceful sidewalk demonstrations opposing the homosexual lifestyle of soul-damning, nation-destroying filth.” The group has been known to picket high-profile funerals around the nation with incendiary signs deriding gays or with slogans like “God Hates America.”

Steve Drain, a devout follower of the Westboro Baptist Church, told The Log Tuesday morning that Planting Peace's decision to paint the house the colors of the gay pride flag was only a story because of where it's located.

"It's not really that bold of a move at all," he said. "I love that house because it represents and sheds light on our message that God hates fags."

Drain said that the national media attention to this project "tells me that people are hearing our message."

"The people in that house across the street are accepting sin," he added. "People want to tout what they are doing as an innocent lifestyle…"

...

The Rainbow/Destin connection

Growing up in Destin, Davis Hammet knew he wasn’t a good fit for a traditional 9 to 5 job, but he never envisioned he would be part of a protest with national implications.

"Since I was a kid, I knew I wanted to do some type of activism," he said. "I didn't know it would be this, though."

Hammet said the painting of the house in Topeka comes at a very important time for civil rights, as the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments on California's Proposition 8, which deals with the state's ban on same-sex marriages, and the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines the word marriage as the union between one man and one woman for federal purposes.

For Jackson, equality is a fight that he and his organization are more than willing to take up.

"It's estimated that 4,000 LGBT people commit suicide each year," he said. "There is a message out there that more or less says that what you are on the inside is wrong and unacceptable. If I was a young, gay teenager, I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to hear that message all the time."

...

‘A friendly protest’

While the painting is still under way, Jackson said his organization has already purchased and installed an industrial-sized flag pole in the front yyard of the home, which will be used to "proudly and appropriately" display the flags of the United States of America and the gay pride flag.

"It looks like something that should be at the U.N., not in a residential neighborhood," he said.

When the flag pole was installed, Jackson said members of the church would pass by and take pictures.

"I don't know what they know over there, but I'm sure they know something's up," he said.

As it stands now, Jackson said the Westboro church is hanging the same flags, but they are positioned upside down with the rainbow flag above the American flag.

"That's a big flag no-no," Jackson said.

Despite Planting Peace's bold move, Jackson said he is not nervous about the church's reaction.

"This is just a friendly protest," he said. "We're promoting equality and helping to sustain anti-bullying campaigns that are already in place."

http://www.thedestinlog.com/news/planting-peace-protests-westboro-baptist-church-with-rainbow-colored-equality-house-1.113630

There's more at the link. I'm pleased to see there are those willing to stand up against hate.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• For some reason the first thought I had was the book I used to read to my children...."Mr. Pine's Purple House".
    I like it. :-)
    imamomzilla

Answer by imamomzilla at 8:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

•  

Here's the house. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I have nothing against the LGBT community however it's a shame they're putting the US flag on bottom.... I think it disgraced their cause and I automatically feel less love for their peaceful protest. Many of my family has served for that flag and some died because of it. First and foremost we must have our freedom and then other things will come slowly around just like women rights slavery being abolished. But don't desecrate the flag ! It's what will hopefully stand for their freedom at some point in the future. Ah well this country has already gone to hell guess that's the least of our worries.... but still
    PlineyJane

Answer by PlineyJane at 3:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• It's the CHURCH that's hanging the flags upside down!!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

Answer by PlineyJane 5 hours ago
    --------------------------------
    It is the Westboro Chuch that hangs the flag upside down, not the rainbow painted house! LOL. Read more carefully from now on!
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Funny stuff.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Justice has no color, or ethnic background, or sexual preference, and the first poster here is the perfect example of misunderstanding it all.......

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Justice is supposed to be blind....its too bad many folks do not understand this. Especially the justice system itself.....

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• BlineyJane, it's the churc who was flying the flags that way, not the GLBT protesters.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2013