Breach at 38 weeks

He's been in the same position for my last two visits and I'm worried that there's not enough room for him to flip back over. I'm starting to get nervous about it.
By the way, I'm fairly short and he's already over 6 lbs (why I don't think there's room)
I guess no real questions, just looking to hear about your experiences and such.

Also,
I should know the difference but I have these cramplike pains and I can't tell if it's contractions or if he's finding a nerve.

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 7:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Pregnancy

• He has 3 more weeks to get into position. Don't worry about being small yourself. I'm 5' 3" & delivered a 7'11 oz baby with ease. You could never confuse a contraction with anything else. on earth You will KNOW when contractions start. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I'm 5'2" and my biggest baby was 8lbs. 9 oz., my smallest was 7lbs 2oz. Have you tried some simple prego exercises that might encourage baby to change positions: http://www.livestrong.com/article/120003-breech-pregnancy-exercises/
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I'm 5'3 and my kids were 8# 2oz and 7# 14oz. You'll be fine in that regard. As far as breech, my youngest was and in the end, I opted for C-section in my situation. You still have time for him to turn on his own. If not, as it gets closer, you can discuss all the options with your doctor and decide what is best for you and your baby. Right now, however, just relax. There's still time, he may turn and all your worrying would be for nothing. Is this your first baby?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• It's my third but all three pregnancies were very different, the girls stayed head down the whole time.
    And I wasn't sure if there were any nerves he could hit that would be a similar sensation to early contractions.
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Best thing is to relax ............ and I noticed some ideas if you Google something like "help turn a breech baby". But stick to the simple, relaxing ideas, not the standing on hed, medication, or overly aggressive manipulation ideas.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Haha yeah I don't think I could be upside down at this size. I tried the cold/hot thing and it didn't do much
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• My oldest son was breach the whole time. I went in for an ultrasound toward the end, and we scheduled a c-section for the next day. I went in that morning, was all ready for surgery, and 5 minutes before I was supposed to go to the OR, my doctor game in. He put an ultrasound wand on my stomach, and was like "Well look at that!" My son had flipped head down the night before. I was induced and delivered him 41 hours later. He was 7 pounds 8 ounces at 38 weeks.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:45 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• im not much help with the size part (im 5'8 & had 8+ lb babies) but my DS was breech at 38 weeks. he ended up turning about 2 days before he came (at 39 weeks). it may feel like they're too big and dont have enough room but you'd be surprised what nature can do to inspire them to get in the right position. and if your little guy doesnt turn the dr will know what to do...they told me to be mentally prepared for a C-section if he didnt turn.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:56 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I think doing a lot of sitting in "normal" chairs/couches can discourage a baby from turning. Doing pelvic squats can be helpful.

I was pretty motivated to get my breech baby (my first pregnancy) to turn and I looked for a chiropractor who was certified in the Webster Technique. I called my husband right after finding out about the situation (my midwife thought the baby was breech & sent me over to the OB part of the practice for an ultrasound to confirm) and asked him to search online for me. Found a practitioner to work with in my area and it really helped to facilitate the baby's turning.

It was very gentle & non-invasive. It didn't involve anything to do with the belly. It was more about correcting issues that were creating muscle tension & interfering with pelvic alignment. I remember he used these wedges (to raise one foot, etc.) and everything was so slight, but very effective! The OB had scheduled an appointment for
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• me to basically go over the options we had, and I couldn't work with the midwives anymore. But I saw the chiropractor several times in the days between the ultrasound & the scheduled appointment, and I was pretty sure the baby had turned over the weekend. When I went in for the appointment, they were starting to tell me about attempting an external version while hooked up to monitors in the L&D's O.R. (just in case a c-section became necessary because of fetal distress) and that if it was successful they'd want to induce right away, when I mentioned that I thought the baby might have turned over the weekend.
    The OB took a quick ultrasound, confirmed it, and sent me back to the midwives.
    They all wanted to hear about Webster Technique! lol
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2013