Boy with a blankie :)

My son is 2.5 years old. He's loved his silky blue blanket since he was probably about one. When hes sitting on the couch or goes to bed he likes to have it and puts the silky edge in his mouth. When would you suggest it be taken away? I run my own daycare, so it doesn't bother me for him to have it but my bf brought it up the other day that maybe its time. I hadnt even begun to think about it :S

Ambie0526

Asked by Ambie0526 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him have it as long as he wants. He will wean himself from it over time. That's what we did with our son who had one. We had the house rule too.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Why do you think it needs to be taken away?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I just didn't know if there is an age where most people take it away..Its not a big deal to me either way.
    Ambie0526

Comment by Ambie0526 (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't take it, but I'd discourage chewing/sucking on it. It's unsanitary if he takes it outside the house and will make it not last as long.

Why is your boyfriend trying to make decisions like that?
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 8:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Let him have it for as long as he needs it.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I was in school with a girl who brought her blankie.
    She was 9.
    I don't think so.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• My almost 12 year old son (who has autism) still has his Dipsy Teletubby doll that he sleeps with

Have a home only rule

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I would let him have it. My 4 yo still has his blankie bear. It stays at home and he only uses it at bedtime but its a comfort to him. I don't think the things that comfort us should ever be taken away. Sometimes there needs to be rules surrounding them (like that they stay at home), but at 2.5 I don't think even that is necessary. Most kids fade out the comfort objects on their own around 3-4.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2013