Huge oil find in the US?

Who wants to bet that we will not be allowed to drill there for some reason or another...does this make you feel hopeful or more hopeless?
We have the oil but not enough refineries....we have the oil but most likely will not be able to drill it...but we could finally get away from our needing to kiss butt to other countries for their crude.
http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news2.13s.html

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 11:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Currently only a handful of states offer rebates for home conversion to solar energy, and NJ has put some caps on the rebates--I'm sure because the state wasn't getting as much income from state and local utility taxes! 

The other problem, is it is quite expensive to make this conversion to an existing home--and given the poor economy, few banks are giving out equity loans for homeowners to use to pay for the conversion and wait until they start earning rebates to pay back the loan.  Kind of a Catch 22 situation.  Now, if Obama provided a special low-cost, interest free reabte and/or subsidy for qualifying homeowners, instead of funding special interest group pet-projects then I'd consider the conversion to solar. :o)
    to make the conversion

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Knowing it's there, and likely will not be sought after until after we've expended every possible financial resource available and realize we just wasted more time and money makes me feel hopeless. Apparently environmentalists, special interest groups and our current administration (especially the D Congress and D Senators) would RATHER spend billions of dollars "studying" alternative energy sources--which ultimately infuriates the NIMBY's, instead of spending that money NOW on building new refineries and enhancing the infrastructure/refineries we already have and make them more efficient.

The "Not In My Back Yard" folks come up with lots of fine theories that are simply impractical for many of our existing cities. Here's one example

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The reason they are looking at other sources is because oil is a fossil fuel. Fossil fuels, coal, oil and natural gas, are a non-renewable source of energy. So as our kids get older they will start driving and eventually the oil supply will be gone. Then you will have big oil rigs and no oil so you will need another solution anyway.

Wind and solar are the future. This should be where we are already but everyone wants immediate answers so they never spent the time or money to get it. The techonology is there they just have to be able to mass produce it. There is already an engineer living up in the mountains who gets $5 BACK from the electric company. His house is warm and he has lights on. He just uses solar power so he has left over. I don't have the article link but you could google it or look on MSN that is where I seen it.

I am not completely against drilling I just think its just a short term plan.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 1:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It's the utilizing ALL options that I am interested in. We can drill as well as continue to explore other viable options. Just makes one wonder how many other big finds are out there. I am also one of those people who thinks that gas should be priced at 2.50 per gallon no matter what. It's the only way people stay interested in exploring other options. When it is cheap we have the out of sight out of mind thing happening and people become complacent.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Ya'll skipped nuclear power. I also think there's plenty of fossil fuels for centuries to come. It's just getting harder to get but the technology is here.
    JanMarie225

Answer by JanMarie225 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• LoriKeet don't stereotype every democratic law maker in Washington ,D.C us against drilling oil in U.S.
    Anonymous

• As a pp said, oil does not last forever. I'd rather use up theirs first.

Hopefully this country will start producing affordable alternative energies.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Anon 3:09
    I said ESPECIALLY, not ALL. Sorry if you're "one of them," and got offended. :o)

I've resigned myself to the fact that I simply cannot please all of the ANONS out there!!! LMAO!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009