Peace?

Okay, it can get really heated in here. Can you be a big person and say something nice about the other side? Start by stating your leaning, and then make a positive statement about the other side.

I'll start:

Liberal - The conservative view point balances out the liberal side by keeping business somewhat protected. It's true that we need business for employment and sometimes the liberal side vilifies employers and needs to be grounded in the fact that it is not all bad. We get too caught up in the pollution and the exploitation and forget that not all business behaves this way and some are actually good.

Your turn!

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 12:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I enjoy the fact the liberals are extremely humanitarian. I may not agree with them fiscally, but they do balance the fact that we conservatives tend to protect our own first.

I enjoy hearing from the other side, when the argument is well reasoned. What I don't enjoy from either side is the name calling.

PS- It is freedom of religion, not freedom FROM religion. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• can't do it.
    Anonymous

• Me neither.
    Anonymous

• WOW.... this is really, really sad to me. If I posted something inflamatory you guys would be all over this. I guess all of you who get all high and mighty about how you are just looking for a debate and you are a fair person who just wants truth is all BS. You can't think of one nice thing to say about the other side? I find that pathetic and closed minded.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Moderately Liberal -

I respect that conservatives are very grounded in their beliefs. I may not agree with their way of thinking, but I respect that they stand up for what they honestly believe is right. I'm not sure that I've ever met a wishy-washy conservative.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Moderate Liberal-

I respect that Conservatives have strength in their convictions and are not easily swayed.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Right smack down the middle for me sweetie.

Why...because liberals believe in big government, I don't. But I think that they want good things for all Americans, sometimes I wonder at what cost. I believe in equal rights for everybody, and I understand and appreciate everyones views, so I guess that is my liberal side. But I do not believe that the government can govern with so many irons in the fire, I think liberals try to make everyone happy and the outcome is higher taxes and programs that fail. Take for example this Stimulus Bill, it doesn't really even address the huge housing crisis, instead it is focused on throwing money away before we find ways to cutback our spending.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Liberal here and I honestly can't think of anything nice to say about Conservatives. I avoid all political discussions BECAUSE of that because I was always taught that if you have nothing nice to say to sayy nothing at all.
    Anonymous

• So far to the Left I'm not blue I'm Green!

Tha being said, I admire the Conservatives' desire for people to take responsibility for themselves.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• beckcorc

It's wrong for you to assume those anons are conservatives, you have another one later who spells it out that they're a lib incapable of saying anything nice about the conservative viewpoint.

And I'll admit that liberals have the right idea about keeping Christianity out of politics, though I draw the line at the "freedom from religion" barrier that goes beyond what's necessary.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009