has anyone tried the your baby can read tv learning program

I saw the infomercial and I was wondering if it works

harleygirl2475

Asked by harleygirl2475 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't buy that crap! If they're learning words by memorizing the way they look, that's not the kind of reading that will really help them in the long run. Learning to read through phonics is the best way because it enables a child to learn how to sound words out, which lets them read ANYTHING even if they don't know what the word means. Imagine not being able to read the word "motorcycle" because you'd never seen it before. But, if you can sound the word out, and you've HEARD it before, then you're really reading.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 1:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Bad idea. Expensive and, while it may give a child a short term "boost" of recognizing certain word patterns, in the long run it may harm a child even more.

Do a search for answers on this topic. A question was asked just yesterday.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yeah i saw this & was condisdering it when i saw that it does actually help the child to be able to READ at 8 months!!!
    JNE90

Answer by JNE90 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There's at least one of these questions each week....it's crap, it's not worth the money.

If you want your kid to learn to "read" by memorizing the shapes of words....then make your own flash cards and keep flashing them with the cards.

There will be massive confusion for those kids when they start school and have to start sounding words out and learning their phonics.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I really looked into it and I don't think it is worth it. Schools use a combination of phonics and sight words. So if anything I would buy Hooked on Phonic for baby/toddlers and Preschool Prep Company dvd's (these are actually used in schools). Like PP said phonics are really the base our children need. When you know phonics you can read anything. My sister when she was in 2nd grade started reading War and Peace. That girl was reading words I wish I could pronounce.
    But besides that I would want my DD to know her ABC's, Numbers, Colors, and Shapes before reading.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 1:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It looked like a load of crap to me!
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009