What does your family do to save money?

times r tough i was wondering if u had any great ideas to save some money

Brandi52087

Asked by Brandi52087 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Money & Work

• we dont eat out and we dont have many wants
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I shop smart. I rarely coupon anymore because more often than not, the name brand with coupon still costs more than what I normally buy. We rarely eat out and I cook mainly from scratch.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I make my own laundry soap
    shop at thrift stores

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I love second hand shoping im addicted!! :) i only buy my girls clothes at thrift stores and garage sles.. which helps a lot!!
    Brandi52087

Comment by Brandi52087 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Not as much as I should, but I did cloth diaper, breastfeed, make my own babyfood. This year I plan to plant a garden & shop around for lower prices on groceries.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I keep an eye on my insurance for home & auto. I pass multiple gas stations on my way to work. If I see one with the price low I stop and fill up even if it's just 1/4 of a tank. I throw ads away for Walmart, Kmart, etc unless I'm looking for something in particular. It helps to keep the wanting down. I try to shop just once a month for groceries. My mom goes twice a month and picks up bread & milk if I need them. We camp in the summer instead of Amusement parks, movies, etc. The kids love hiking, fishing, etc and it's better for them.

We have power strips on Electronics. We hit the power when we go to bed. Just walk thru the house with the lights off & see how light it actually is. We went to a small dumpster that gets picked up once a month and is cheaper then weekly pickups. We keep up the maintence/cleaning on auto, furnace, fridge, dryer vents, etc. Keeps them working better and lasts longer.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• We don't go out at all really. Haven't been out to eat without a gift card in many months, and most of our "fun" stuff is cheap or free, and local. Then again, we're so busy during the week that's not always on purpose lol. It's nice to just stay home on weekends! To save money on the electric bill I unplug EVERYTHING in the house except the refrigerator, the house phone, and the wireless router during the day when we're gone and at night (except for having a fan and cell phone charger plugged in). My electric bill averages about $20 a month! I also usually buy the cheapest brand when grocery shopping (though there are some brand I'm picky about). That's really it. We're not frivolous spending people to begin with so there's really not a whole lot we NEED to do.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• We don't mind shopping for clothes and some toys at thrift stores. Also, Groupon and Living Social are good coupon sites where you can find interesting local attractions at discount prices in almost any area of the country.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• What I find I do the most is make unnecessary car trips and eat out. Even if I run across town, I am tempted to stop and pick up a soda... All that adds up. I've tried to cut out all eating out, only when hubby is home and it's a special occasion. I bring a snack if I think I'll get hungry. And I try to plan my car trips, keep a list of things you need and try to get them all at once while you are out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Avoid leaving the house unless necessary
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2013