Cat not peeing in her litter box

She will go #2, but not pee. Instead she has been going (for a while) in the corner of our recently finished (carpeted) basement. I cleaned the area, although I am calling in a pro since my attempts didn't do anything, and put a litter box over where she likes to go. Only once in the last 3 days has she actually hit the new box though. Once in front of it and once beside it. UGH! I also bought cat attract litter, but am wondering if I should block off that area all together and put a chair mat (the kind you use on carpet to make your chair roll) upside down in the area and try to force her to use her current box. If she keeps missing the new box, she continues to ruin my carpet in the basement. Or I could try, although I don't know where I'd put the litter box, to keep her upstairs. I hate to get rid of her, but may have no choice as she is ruining my house :(  Should have mentioned, she has been to the vet.  There is nothing medically wrong.

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 11:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Pets

• Take her to the the vet's ASAP. When cats do this kind of thing they're trying to tell you something ... She more than likely has a urinary infection. Please get her treated before it harms her kidneys.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Take her to the vet to rule out bladder or kidney issues

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• It is not an infection. I just had her to the vet. Thanks for pointing that out to me though :)
    TALuke

Comment by TALuke (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Have you got anything new to the home, maybe moved? Moved her things around?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Nothing in the house has changed recently. We have 2 1/2 year old twins and refinished the basement around that time, but she should be over that by now. She was just a kitten then
    TALuke

Comment by TALuke (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Is the litter new to her? A lot of cats are very finicky when it comes to cat litter. Go back to her usual brand and see if that helps.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Same litter we have always used
    TALuke

Comment by TALuke (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• You've probably thought of this, so I don't mean to be ofensive. But is the box kept clean? Some cats are very fastidious and won't use a box that isn't clean. Also, does it have a hood on it? Some cats like their privacy, so if you don't have a hood, you can make one with a cardboard box, leaving one end open and putting the litterbox inside.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I clean the box everyday. She is a fuss-button. Tried the hood. She hated it, so we took it off.
    TALuke

Comment by TALuke (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Is this cat old? sometimes when they get old they stop using the box....

Answer by older at 1:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2013