Taking 5 yr old for testing for private school- what do I tell him since we are not guaranteed to get in?

I am trying to get my son into a Catholic school here and part of the application process is to have him tested to see if he meets their entrance requirements. I am a little worried, not that he won't pass really, but more about what to tell him when I take him that he will be taking a test...

I guess I also don't know what else they might ask him during the process and don't want him caught off guard if they ask anything about coming to a new school, etc. I don't want to tell him we are looking at a new school just in case he doesn't get in... Anyone ever go through this before? We are trying to get in for first grade this fall.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• I haven't been through it, but I would make it sound like its completely your choice on whether or not he attends. Tell him he's going to test and you're going to look around and see if you like it. If for some reason he doesn't make the cut, blame the school not being good enough for him.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Tell him the truth,
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Just tell that the school wants to talk to him. Don't tell him more. Then if he doesn't get in, tell him you want him to go to "X" school because you like it more. But I've been through this. The testing is just so that they can see who is coming in, and what they need to prepare for. They will take anyone who is willing to pay. They don't turn away anyone. At least that is how my school works.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• They have entrance tests in public school also, also I believe the call them screenings now.
    Tell him nothing.
    Or tell him that they want to meet him and there will be some fun things to do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Catholic School? You are pretty much guaranteed to get in since they NEED your money these days. Enrollment is way down in Catholic Schools simply for the mere fact that many of their students have left because families can no longer pay to send their child. Tell your Son that we are going to see if "we" like it there NOT if "they" will accept you.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't worry. Try to make it fun for him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I would just say that he is taking a test for the 1st grade, and it is important that he do his best, you can say that you are thinking about switching schools, and want to check it out to see if you both like it, I assume that he will pass, does he do well now?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• The truth. If you do not pass the test you take, you will not go to that school.

Answer by louise2 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I suggest what pretty much others have said. Just tell him that you are looking around at schools and you're taking him to visit one so that you both can see what the school is like. Tell him that you think they will ask him some questions while he is visiting, or ask him to do some tasks, to see what he has been learning.

If you feel the need to talk about the possibility of "going to school" someplace different, you could tell him that finding out about this school will help you to feel like you are making the best decision you can, or will help you to know you've made the right decision about where he goes to school.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Tell him it's an assessment of what he knows... not a test. That way if he doesn't get in he won't feel like he failed!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2013