Boys are dumb

My husband is in the dog house, and has been for a few weeks now. He has NO clue he is either. He thinks I'm just being extra bitchy because it's "that" time of month again. (EDIT: It's not that time of the month.......not yet)

Him (to my dad): I tend to ignore people when I don't think they're qualified to answer my question.
Me: (looked up from what I was doing in the kitchen): Is THAT why you ignore 90% of what I say or suggest?
Him: Um, uh, blah blah blah, uh, uh, [insert some lame excuse about not listening as well as he should].

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Relationships

• What a dick.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 1:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• asshole
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• You said it he is an idiot. As most of them are
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

•  Typical! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Why not address the issue with him instead of putting him in the dog house and acting bitchy (your words not mine)?

Anonymous

• @ Anon: Because he won't get it. He will avoid and ignore problems until they "go away" and I just don't have the energy to to point out how insulting and stupid that comment wast. He will NOT understand. I've tried in the past to explain it and all I get is a cranky, defensive, "I'm sorry!!" but nothing changes.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• it's true. if they don't agree with a suggestion they won't respond. that's how men work.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I don't think he's getting the gist of you being angry with him. Men are not good about taking hints. So you are wasting perfectly good bitchiness. Tell him what's up. Men are too stupid to figure it out themselves. Just tell him to remove the foot from his mouth if he still doesn't get it and go on.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I'd say he stuck his foot in his mouth up t his rib cage.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Do you think he was actually talking about you when he said that? Talking about ignoring YOU?

I would assume he just was talking to your dad about his decision to ignore some "helpful" suggestions or information when he doubts the source. (Distinguishing that strategy from, say, trying to point out the problems with the ideas TO the guy.)

Reading your scenario, it sounds like a jokey "Oh, is THAT why....?" moment when you bust his chops. (And he fumbled around, no snappy comeback, feeling awkward & trying to say the "right" thing.)

I'm not sure (?) that the comment was insulting & stupid, though I realized from your later comments that you took it that way. (Previously, I thought you were basically complaining that he doesn't listen well, not that his comment to your dad was an insult to you.) Your feelings are totally valid, but I don't know that they reveal much about his intention OR what he was actually saying.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2013