Can you pack food in your luggage on planes?

Like if you were going on vacation and you filled one suitcase with non perishables so you didn't have to eat out?

That would save $ right?

I guess you could buy groceries there though. But that would take time away from relaxing

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Travel

• I would buy groceries there. Most airlines are now charging for anything over the size of a carry on. Not worth the money to pay $50 to bring food with you.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I would wait to get groceries when you get to your destination. Just take some snacks for the trip. But you can't have liquids on the plane either. Check your airline for the list of Do's & Don'ts.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Idk, but when we went to Disney last year I found a grocery store and bought sandwich stuff and munches. Saved a ton of money.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Also, if do want the extra time to relax, consider using a grocery or errand service that is at your destination. They will buy your groceries and deliver them to you when you arrive. Many touristy places have them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't. Shit explodes on planes and I'd rather not have creamed corn all over my clothing. You'll spend more at the laundromat than you would on dining out!
    Plus lots of metropolitan areas offer free grocery delivery right to the hotel. I did that in Vegas and I loved it!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• You can pack pretty much anything in your checked luggage, but paying to transport groceries will probably be more expensive than buying them after you arrive. You can carry snacks in the bag you take on the plane, but beware! I had a couple of tuna cans in a bag once, those sealed kind that come with crackers, and I was taken aside and had the bags oen because the cans apparently looked like they could have been gun barrels on the X-ray.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• If I was worried about saving money. I would not go on vacation. Or

I would do the same thing we did in Italy. I would go to the local grocery store. When we got to the hotel.

Answer by louise2 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I used to do that, before they charged so much for luggage. I would throw cans of tuna, cereal, etc in my suitcase. But with the charges now, I don't think its worth it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• For me, part of the "relaxing" part of the vacation is to make the airport part as simple as possible, so we always travel really light. I'll bring snacks or sandwiches for traveling day but nothing more.

Besides, you can't bring liquids on the plane. So when you get to the hotel you'd still have to go to a store to buy milk, juice, etc. Might as well just get whatever food you need then, too.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• When we went to Disney World last year, we had an entire suitcase filled with snacks for the parks. Had to check it instead of it being carry-on, but we had absolutely no problems.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2013