Are frequent nightmares during pregnancy normal?

I don't sleep good anymore due to this and I'm sure its just hormones or something but is it normal? And is there anything I can do to help get did of them? I always wake up with leg cramps or headaches when this happens.. its awful

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 4:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I don't know. I had strange dreams, but not quite nightmares. My worst one was me dreaming that I was breastfeeding my dog. Gross and so bizarre.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Yes to the nightmares and leg cramps for me! My baby is 20 yo and I can still remember vividly some if the whacked out dreams I had during pregnancies! And I used to get horrid leg cramps that would have me out of bed trying to walk it out before I was fully awake and I crash to the floor! Lol Hang in there....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I've heard of a lot of women who had both nightmares and leg cramps during pregnancy, and I had a few myself. The doctor told me that the leg cramps might have been caused by the baby taking potassium from my system, and to eat more bananas, which I'm allergic to so I didn't try. But maybe it will work for you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I had horrible bloody nightmares with my first pregnancy. It was awful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I'm sorry, Quinnmae, lol.

Vivid dreams, crazy dreams, scary dreams, all very normal. Try cutting sugar if you have any within 2 hours before bed. Try relaxation routines before bed like SO/DH giving a massage or read pleasant things before bed or have bath a light scented candles. This may help, might not. Like already said, its hormones. GL.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2013