How hard is it to learn to sew?

As in using a sewing machine? What are the costs associated with it? (machine, needles,thread,upkeep to machine?)

I need a skill.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Are you an artsy-craftsy type of person? Can you follow a pattern? I suck at it, so more power to ya if you can do it! :p GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I kind of stink at it but I do it anyway. It's not too hard, it mostly depends on your machine. I don't think it's too costly, but it can be if you buy lots of fabric and trims. Machines can cost anywhere from around $100 and up, depending on how many features and how much automation you want. Too bad you don't live close to me, I would give you one of mine.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Basically what I want to make are easy things- like sewing two pieces of fabric together and filling with rice for heat pads, and door drafts to stick under the doors (duh) and maybe blankets or something later on? I've never seen a pattern, I don't know if I could follow one! I know I could buy these things, but I think they would make good gifts and maybe I could sell them online.

Something productive to spend my time on, you know?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I don't think it's that hard... but I already know how to sew. You can get a cheap machine at walmart.... but you get what you pay for! The $100 range is your best bet. Fabric costs about 4-5/yard for the most part. thread & needles are pretty cheap. Can you take a class at a local craft store... you can get the basics that way for sure. 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Look online like on craigslist or ebay. I actually bought my Brother embroidery machine on ebay. Garage sales might be a good place to look, but that will be more hit or miss.

Here is a cute one that is mostly for crafts. An inexpensive way to find out if you are interested in more.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• For what you want to do, it's fairly easy. Following a pattern to make actual clothes, a lot harder! Do you know someone that would be willing to teach you?

Answer by missanc at 4:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• How about getting a pattern for a stuffed animal or a doll to start with? You could even do that by hand, just to see if you enjoy sewing, and then invest in a machine if you want to keep going with the hobby. I made a few stuffed animals and a simple patchwork quilt, but after that I haven't sewn in years.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• That little one is cute. I would love to make things.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Craftsy has a few beginner classes, and I'm a  huge Craftsy addict.  If you aren't in a hurry, make an account and then wait a few weeks.  They'll send an email offering a class for either $14 or $19.

Sewing can be crazy expensive or super cheap.  JoAnne's always has %50 off coupons.  Only buy when you have them.  Or buy their instore magazine for $2 that has four on the back.

Machines...don't go too cheap.  You get what you pay for.  And when you go cheap you're paying for a lot of headache.  Thread problems, stitch problems.  All stuff that frustrates a beginner because they don't realize it's the machine, not them.  I didn't realize I loved sewing until I upgraded from my $100 machine to a $350 machine.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 5:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2013