3 year old hasn't pooped in 4 days?

My daughter has always seemed to have some digestive issues but one saturday night when she woke me screaming and I found that she'd pooped in her panties while sleeping I was slightly concerned. It was very hard too and I immediately knew she was dealing with some constipation.

Well, here it is 4 days later and she hasn't gone again. She refuses to! She will sit on the toilet and freak out and she keeps complaining that her butt hurts. I've looked at her butt, it's not irritated or anything. She keeps ending up with streaks in her undies too.

I have given her prune juice and half a dose of a laxative and still nothing! I tried giving her an enima and she freaked out (as I expected) and jumped up before I could get much in her and what did go in came right back out.

Should I take her to the ER tonight if she doesn't go? What can I do for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would call her ped asap.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Research Ecopresis and call her ped for either an appointment with them or to get a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

She probably can't help it at this point.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• My dd had some constipation issues that arose from having a painful BM once and it spiraled. She didn't end up with Encopresis, but I had read about it before it got bad so I knew what to look for. We ended up having to do some glycerin suppositories and those worked, even though she HATED them. At least they helped her get the poo out.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• This is common, it hurts so she doesn't want to go.. My DD did the same thing around that age. We went to her ped and I had to do an enema every night for a week, and mineral oil twice a day with something else.. I no longer remember its been so long. Once we got her going, we had to continue the mineral oil for months to keep it soft. I would call her ped and have her checked out to make sure she is not impacted.. Impactions are removed manually if she can't go on her own.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Try uping her water and prune/apple juice consumption and adding at little fiber into her water and cutting out things like white bread, rice, and bananas to help soften her stool.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Get one of those enemas for babies, it is very small and she shouldn't be too scared, if you have given 1/2 a laxative and still nothing, I say it is time to call the doctor in the morning, just to rule out an obstruction or anything, and feed her fiber, you can give her the metamucil that dissolves in water, if your doctor okays it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• It works in minutes with no pain & is a miracle!!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• You have 2 things to address: the constipation and her fear of pooing. Before you do anything that might scare her even more, call her pediatrician and ask about Miralax. It's a powder that you put in her drink. It dissolves completely and you can't taste it so it's really easy to take. You can get it at any drugstore. It acts really gently to soften whatever poo is in her (even the hard stuff that hurts to come out or is stuck) so that it's really easy to poop within a day or two. There are no side effects. Once she's back to pooping normal and isn't scared anymore, you can stop giving her the Miralax.

My son (and a bunch of other little kids I know) have gone through this. Something happens and they get constipated. Then because it hurts to poop, they try not to which just makes it worse. And it spirals from there. The longest my son went was 8 days, so by comparison 4 days isn't that bad. :) Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Hope your chid is doing much better now. Bless their heart!
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2013