Sending kiddo to Catholic school- is it better that we start attending Catholic mass 'for practice' or go to Christian service more in line with my beliefs?

We are going to send our child to Catholic school to get a better education (or public schools here are terrible) BUT I don't in my heart believe I am Catholic- I am pro gay rights for example. The Christian church here is not pro-gay rights either but is a little less strict obviously with what you eat, holy days, etc. and just a little more welcoming and the biggest thing is they have a HUGE children's program and are very modern with music and the message. BUT should I take my child to Catholic mass to practice what they teach at the school? Or do we attend the Christian church which teaches to the kids specifically more and just let them teach Catholic things at the school and pick it up that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, Id take them to the church more in line with what I believed.
    LadyAmaranth

Answer by LadyAmaranth at 9:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• This is just my opinion.
    I would continue to go to church where you wish to attend, with whatever faith you believe in. When it is just before your child is to begin the school year, you might want to take hime a couple of times, just so he is a little familiar with how the Mass goes and what he is supposed to be gdoing. That will be just to help his comfort level.
    If you choose to go to Mass (change that to your place of worship) that will strictly be your choice to make.

Even way beck when I was child we had some none Catholics in school and they did what everyone else did, including attending Mass. Even then there was one girl, who went and said her own prayers in the office during mass and during religion classes.
    I can't remember what she was.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• Go to the church you feel comfortable in.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2013

• You should continue to go to church where ever you are most comfortable.  I don't know how old your child is, if he is really young it probably doesn't matter.   If he's older you might want to consider taking him a few times to a Catholic mass just so he's familiar with the flow of mass.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I agree with Dardenella dn RyansMom. If I didn't agree with the core beliefs of a particular church, I would not change my regular place of worship. You may want to do some explaining about the things the two branches of Christianity have in common and the differences. I'm sure you are well aware that your child will be taught about Catholic beliefs.

My kids attend Catholic school, but I am Catholic so that does not pose a problem for me. I know the tuition is not cheap, even for Catholics who are part of a parish, and it is much worse for people who do not get the in-parish tuition rate. I know you are doing what you think is best for your kids.

Besides supporting our beliefs, one of my reasons for choosing Catholic school is because I was bullied in junior high, and the private schools don't have to give a kid a million and one chances. If they won't stop, they can leave and go to public school.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2013