Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can a Step-Mom take 12 year old daughter out of state with only Fathers OK, we have joint custody and live in Dallas/Fort Worth?

Answer Question

Asked by Concerned6000 at 1:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • It would be far better if you can get the bio mom on board. The laws vary from place to place, but if the bio mom wanted to make trouble, she could.

    Answer by Ballad at 2:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • I dont know about the laws on it, but I would think that consent from both parents is the way to go, the Mother should know if her child is going out of state for sure! If I was in this situation I would be furious if someone took my child out of town without my knowledge.

    Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • How-so? Police say they can do a welfare check (check to see if she's ok and what not although that doesn't really have anything to do with what we need. )

    Comment by Concerned6000 (original poster) at 4:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • Don't put the 12 year old in a position were she isn't suppose to tell her mom or lie about where she went.

    Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • My husband has taken my kids (his step kids) out of state with no problems. I don't know why it would be a problem.

    Answer by missanc at 6:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • If the bio mom is ok with it. Sure why not. Both bio parents should be asked and ok with it.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • It likely isn't a big deal but check your state family law or the custody order may addresses this. My custody order has a standard clause in it, specifying that if the children leave the state for more than 2 days, the parent with the kids has to notify the other parent and provide an itinerary and phone numbers where the children can be reached. It doesn't specify who may or may not accompany the children, nor that the custodial parent must be present.

    Answer by HHx5 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • Even if you can legally do it, you'd be better off getting Mom on board. Just because it's legal doesn't mean I wouldn't raise holy hell if my ex allowed his wife/gf/whatever to take my kids out of state without telling me - or even if he went with them. Do you really want to sabotage the relationship between your husband and his ex, making it worse than I'm guessing it already is and complicating things further for the child? She has the right to know if her kids are leaving the state, and if you really want to be a good stepmom, you would do things to encourage a good relationship between everyone involved.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 8:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • I would let the bio mom know first. I know I would be super piss if someone take my son out of state without me knowing about it.

    Answer by Alisim at 9:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

  • Why would someone not want to have both parent's okay? If it's about the child, both biological parents should be on board. I agree with the others, don't put a kid in a position to have to lie to a parent. That sets a bad precedent.  It would be incredibly disrespectful.  If the father was going I dont' think it would be an issue.  Best to check with your family attorney to make sure.  


    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.