What is your take on the "Fairness Doctrine" possibly being enforced?

I listened to this this morning and it really didn't set well with me for a couple reasons. One being, who is stopping anyone from opening up a liberal talk show radio? Two, why should a conservative talk show host be required to have liberal views? Three, why is this even being brought up? Nobody stopped anybody from bashing W. so why is this being brought back around now? This feels like a shut down of freedom of speech, this is free market and there is demand for this if there is a demand for liberal talk show radio then open up the airways for both who is stopping liberal radio? I am willing to see both point of views but this is becoming a bit disturbing, our gov is bailing out everyone and now they are trying to interfere with free enterprise that is doing well.

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 12:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• And just so nobody thinks I am bashing Obama...according to his campaign promises he is not for this.  See here... http://mobile.broadcastingcable.com/article/114322-Obama_Does_Not_Support_Return_of_Fairness_Doctrine.php

So why is it being brought up now?

SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It shouldnt. Its stupid.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Life isn't fair.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Air America has the worst ratings in radio history. I'm sure Franken is going to push for this just because his show tanked so badly.
    Problem is, the reason Air America tanked isn't because there's nothing to discuss, it's because they found the absolute worst personalities they could to host it. They were all sarcasm, no humor, all bitterness, no substance. The biggest failing in people who criticize conservative talk radio is they ignore the substance in search of things to ridicule, and in doing so, they totally miss why it is so popular.
    It's like people who could never understand why Tammy Faye was a gay icon because all they saw was her makeup.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I tried to respond and it shut me down so I am writing again. Obama and his left wing want to shut down conservative talk radio so they can establish their own agenda - socialism. The left controls the media but they cannot stop conservatives and Republicans from voicing their view. This violates free speech and their will be a tremendous backlash. They have tried this before and it was shut down.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The thing is that I would listen to Liberal radio and Conservative radio, I really enjoy listening to both points of views. But if there isn't a market for it and the liberal shows fail I sure the heck don't want the gov to tell my conservative hosts what they can and cannot say.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Scorpio, the OP's first response is a link providing the evidence that Obama is AGAINST this. Look at the very site we are on now...We are adults who should be able to have discussions without a "Report Button" on the bottom corner of every post. The only time I would ever report a post is if it were to state that the person knew where I resided and planned to do harm to my person or my family. Other than a direct threat of violence there is no need to "report" any point of view that differs from your own. It starts small, ladies. Very soon freedom of speech will be a thing of the past and we will have nobody to blame but ourselves for taking for granted our civil liberties by reporting or complaining about any image, opinion, thought or word that we deem "distasteful." This is what some asked for. I hope the fruit from the poison tree tastes good to the people who chose to bite.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Micrespo, she tried to report my post? Why I am not being confrontational or inflammatory?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• As a liberal, I have no problem with conservative radio host or with the existence of Fox News as long as they admit they're conservative... Personally, I would never listen to Limbaugh because I have a very low opinion of the man (which I'm not going to go into, out of respect for his listeners here) but he admits he's a conservative and everyone who listens to his show knows his political stance. I love MSNBC; yes I know it's not balanced and I'm fine with that, just as most people know Fox isn't balanced and they like that. I have a problem with people representing themselves and unbiased when they clearly aren't.
    AesSedai

Answer by AesSedai at 12:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• This is ridiculous. I don't have much to say that hasn't been already said.

I'm glad Obama doesn't support it, tho! Three points for him!

You know if you are listening to opinion radio. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009