Let's talk hypocrisy

What are your thoughts on this example of hypocrisy?

Christian Group Wants Parents to Call Their Kids Out of School on ‘Day of Silence'

March 14, 2013 By 41 Comments

Laurie Higgins of the Illinois Family Institute is putting out her annual call for parents to remove their children from their public schools during next month's "Day of Silence" (a student-run initiative during which volunteers don't speak on behalf of the members of the LGBT community who have been forced to be silent about their sexual identities):

A coalition of pro-family groups is urging parents to keep their children home from school on the "Day of Silence," if your school is allowing students to refuse to speak in class.

...

When administrators refuse to listen to reason and when they allow the classroom to be exploited for political purposes, parents must take action. If they don't, the politicization of the classroom and curricula will increase.

...

It is unconscionable that conservative parents remain silent, acquiescent, fearful non-participants in our public schools while homosexuals and their ideological allies engage continuously in vociferous, vigorous, and bold action.

Conservatives need to start acting and speaking as if we think our moral beliefs are objectively true. Conservative teachers need to create activities that require students to speak on the Day of Silence, and conservative parents need to teach their children by example to take a stand for truth.

Please call your children out of school if your administration permits students to refuse to speak on the Day of Silence.

Besides the fact that it's a dick move to have teachers go out of their way to make students speak on that day, this is nothing we haven't heard before from groups like IFI.

The core of their argument, they say, is that the Day of Silence "politicizes" the classroom. And if that's all this was, I might not have a huge problem with it...

But it turns out conservative Christians already have their own event - modeled after the Day of Silence - where kids stay silent on behalf of aborted babies and affirm their anti-choice beliefs. It's called the "Pro-Life Day of Silent Solidarity."

It's a student-led event, it's perfectly legal, and it's also taking a political issue and bringing it inside the classroom.

No atheist or civil liberties group has ever tried to put a stop to it nor have they ever urged parents to remove their children from the classroom as a result of it.

And the Illinois Family Institute has never, ever, ever, ever issued any statement condemning the Pro-Life Day of Silent Solidarity.

In fact, there's not even a mention of the event on their website.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Religious Debate

• That doesn't surprise me one bit

I've never heard of that day. That's a wonderful idea. I applaud them!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I'm all for gay rights. I will continue to vote in support of them and congratulate them every time they win more civil rights.

However... I think if someone is morally opposed to something, they shouldn't have to remain quiet on it. I don't have to agree with a person's opinion in order to think they deserve just as much of an opportunity to share it with the rest of the community as the next guy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I think that's the point of the article, Ginger.  The parents of the kids who oppose the "Day of Silence" can keep their kids at home, or encourage their kids to actively and openly participate in class discussion with the teacher if he/she is asking questions or otherwise wanting verbal participation in the class.  What these parents are doing, instead, is trying to impose their beliefs upon the school system by pressuring teachers to force verbal participation in the class and penalize those students who try to take a stand for those who've been kept silent because of their sexuality - while at the same time, planning their own "Day of Silence" for their own cause.  Therein lies the hypocrisy.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Is the Illinois Family Institute aware of the Silence for Pro life day? I've never heard of it but I have heard of the lbgt day of silence. Maybe they are targeting it because its more well known?

Answer by missanc at 11:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Personally, I think both religion and politics should be out of public schools.
    But just because something is allowed, it doesn't mean you have to participate- whether it's religious or politically motivated. As long as participation is voluntary, then live and let live, IMHO.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Oh, I just read it is student-led. In that case, then I don't see the issue, the school isn't endorsing it.
    I do think it could lead to a bit of a slippery-slope, though. If another group of students decided to create a day in support of a gay marriage ban, will they be allowed? Should they be allowed?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I don't agree with any of it. However it's really only hypocrisy If the same person is telling their kids to be silent for one cause, but then pulling her kids out of school for the other cause. Because one group of Christians called for silence doesn't make the other christian a hypocrite, if they didn't know about or agree with the first group.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• If I were on the 'opposing' side, I'd encourage my child to go to school and be very vocal all day. Taking her out of school just means she's not learning, hurting only herself.

If the IFI supports the Pro Life day and not this, yes, that'd be hypocrical to give the reasoning of not allowing politics into the classroom.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I would rather see neither day of silence staged in the schools, since a day where students are focusing on not speaking for any political cause is probably not a day where much learning is taking place. That being said, if one day is allowed, then the other should be also. But it's only hypocrisy if the Illinois Family Institute is supporting one day and crying out against the other, for the same reason of not politicizing the classroom. So I withhold the judgment of hypocrisy based on not enough evidence, since the pro-life day of silence isn't mentioned at all. Does the IFI support it, or not know about it? Or do they know about it and choose to be silent because thy believe in that cause--that would be hypocrisy. Too many unanswered questions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Neither day should be allowed. School is for learning and if part of the class is not participating in a class discussion then they are not learning. School grounds are not the place for politics or religion protests to be taking place.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2013