Do you kiss your child on the mouth?

I always kiss my dd on the mouth, but it got me thinking. Statistics say that 85% of adults have Herpes Simplex Virus 1, which can easily be passed by kisses. While I have never had a cold sore or fever blister, HSV can lie dormant for years, but I believe I don't have it. Do you kiss your kids knowing you have HSV? No bashing please!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• absolutely!! My kids have the closest of bonds, they used to live inside me, theyres nothing more intimate than that! LOL I kiss them probably 5 times a day, My 7 year old daughter still kisses me at the bus stop every morning, and my 3 year old son gives me kisses all the time...even when they are sick, my babies can kiss me whenever they choose...and I wouldnt have it any other way

PS
    They dont really kiss hubby on the mouth, mostly the cheek, everyones comfort level is different
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yes i do
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I don't have herpes, but I kiss my children on the mouth always.

Anonymous

• my mom had that.. she would kiss us on the mouth.. but if she felt a sore coming on or had one then she would tell us only on the cheek today! Far as I know I don't have the HSV from it, but I don't kiss my DD on the mouth anyways
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I do. She looks all hurt when I try to get cheek kisses. I don't have any freaky viruses though. Never even had a cold sore.
    Anonymous

• I don't have herpes...but yeah, I do kiss her on the mouth.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had cold sores when I was a kid, but haven't had one in years, and yes I am aware that I can pass it on to my daughter if I have one, but yes I do kiss her because like I said I haven't had a sore in years.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I am not bashing anyone who does have it. Most people get it from their mother through the placenta and many others get it from relatives in childhood. It is so common these days that anyone educated about it, does not consider these people dirty or anything.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I don't have it as far as I know, and I do kiss my kids on the mouth.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Another family did this to one of my kids and passed it on. It was done before I could even jump across the floor to stop it. They meant no harm and sent it as a token of family love. People have a thing with touching babies faces and kissing them on the mouth. It is a no no! think of some of the things adults do with their mouths, now why would anyone want to kiss their kids on the mouth?? Not intended to bash it just simply disgusts me after it happened to mine.
    Anonymous