I need help!

Okay, here's the thing. We have a limited income and just can't afford freash fruits and veggies. My baby has some belly issues and can't eat foods that cause gas (beans, broccoli...), fried foods, meat or anything that is "hard" on the stomach or spicy. I have a hubby that thinks if it's green it's gonna kill him, and a a two year old that only wants cookies...

What do I cook???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Soups. You can sneak veggies in there for the hubby and 2 yr old. Go to Food Network's website, there are tons of great soup recipes on there. One that is gentle on the stomach is a chicken noodle soup that I make all the time. It uses a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, and you only use 1/2 of the meat, so you can save the other half for another dinner. Take the chicken off the bones, put in a pot with onion (with the skin on), 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, salt, pepper, thyme, & bay leaf. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 90 minutes. There's your stock. For the soup, 1/2 onion, diced, sliced carrots, chopped celery, 1/2 of the chicken, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are cooked. Add noodles. You're done! They also make gas drops for babies, worked wonders for my son.
    Anonymous

• Should have clarified... for the stock, you are boiling the bones and skin, not the meat...after you take the meat off, cover it and put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
    Anonymous

• I make some dishes too that is not too hard on the belly and I sneak veggies in all the time.
    *I make meatloaf with oatmeal (instead of the bread or breadcrumbs), to this I will add diced up spinach (I have even used the can, just use about 1/4 can to about 1 and half pounds of meat), you can also add shredded carrots, and yellow squash, and I top it with tomatoe sauce and bake. I serve this with mashed potatoes and gravy.
    *I make speghetti sauce, in which I hide carrots, extra tomatoes, zuchini, and a small bit of brocolli
    *You can buy a bag of frozen cauliflower ( I always get the store brand), and cook it then smash it to look like mashed potatoes, and then to this I add about 1/4 of a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. The kids love it!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• *Make a pot of chili and add the tomatoe paste, then add about a 1/4 of a can of diced and smashed up canned spinach, add kidney beans for protein, and and some shredded carrots.
    *I have a 2 year old that really liked her cookies too! To change this and give her a healthier option, I began making her bran muffins and too these I would add some shredded up carrots. I would tell her that they were cake muffins and she tasted them and now eats them up everytime i make them!
    *You can also make a veggie spread out of cream cheese, carrots and broccoli (chopped up very fine) and spread this on wheat toast or a bagel.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I too am on a limited budget, but I noticed that if I just buy the regular amount of veggies and divide them, freezing the veggies that I am not to use for a few weeks, I can stretch out the amount that I buy. I noticed that the key is not too get as much veggies into the DH and kids that I can, but rather to get just enough that that are getting some. It may not be the "daily reccommended" amount, but its something. I have tried to increase the veggies, fiber, and protein of my family and so far these are working. Some additional tips are, sometimes I make the meatloaf or chili with ground turkey for a healthier option, and make the muffins with store brand raisin bran. (it adds raisins to the muffins as well!)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I use a lot of frozen veggies, and freeze what I can in the summer for the winter.

I suggest trying to hide veggies in other foods. You can use pumpkin puree in baked goods instead of oil. Same with applesauce.

I like to make a veggie frittata- it's like an open faced veggie omelette. I shred a couple of potatoes, zuccini, carrots, sweet potato, onion, etc into a nonstick oven safe pan with some melted butter or heated oil and brown. Count two eggs per person and 1 per child and break, add two tablespoons milk or water per egg and beat. When the bottom of the shredded mix is brown and crispy, use a plate to invert it and slide it back into the pan. Pour the eggs on top and use a spatula to lift ingredients as you turn the pan and tilt it, as you would an omelette. When the eggs are distributed, top with shredded cheese and bake at 400 till puffy and yummy
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009