3 y/o Niece vs. Baby!!

My S2B 3 y/o niece is my WORLD & my parents world. 1st niece, 1st grandchild & spoiled rotten!! I practically raised her for the 1st year. Well she is VERY JEALOUS she doesn't want anyone touching her papa nonnie aunt or mommy especially other babys or kids!! She even gets jealous when my BF hugs me in front of her!! So how is she gona feel when I have my baby?? ( I'm 4 months pregnant) I'm so scared shes gonna be so jealous & I don't want that to happen I mean she knows Aunt Ericka has a baby in her belly but I don't think she realizes its gonna come out & get attention! I don't want my baby to steal the spotlight from her & I really don't want her to not like the baby. I've even cried about it because my niece is MY WORLD!!! I love her like she is my own and I'm gonna feel bad..... How do I help her get through the jealousy & love the baby!!??

dixieQT

Asked by dixieQT at 12:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When that baby comes out, it will be your world. Your whole view on that will change.

Don't worry about her, just be open with her. When you see babies out in public, make sure to tell her that you will be having one of those soon, make it more real for her.
    And she may surprise you...my cousin was very much so a spoiled little girl at 5 years. When I had my daughter she kicked into mommy mode and wanted to help take care of her all of the time.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It's almost like you are getting ready to have a second child.

When I was preggo w/#2 I really, truly thought that he would always be "second fiddle" to our girl.

But then - he came and just like Grinch my heart grew and grew.

Take it easy on yourself - and relax. It's probably more hormones than anything.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• maybe I am harsh but I have a four year old who is the center of her own universe... I am almosty 5 months pregnant-- so anyway we are in similar situations andh onestly I think for my daughter it will be easier for her to learn that the world isn't centered around her now, this way, with the excitement of a new baby- than for her to start kindergarten and go out into the world a little bit more and have to learn that way. I feel we have built up for her and unrealistic idea of how great life is. I am hoping also to kick some baby habits out of her when she has to be a "big sister"
    I think it can only be good for your niece..but please do prepare her ahead of time... also buying her a new baby doll to give her when you bring your new LO home migh help too. you can care for them together.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• also u can try to buy ur niece a gift from the baby- a doll- a tea pot set something she really would love to have and when u introduce ur baby to ur niece give her the gift and say the baby got it especially for her and also it might help to give ur niece things to do for the baby like help getting diapers or bottles so she feels like shes apart of the babys life not just replaced by it
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• make her feel included. :) she might not be as jealous.
    youngs_wifey05

Answer by youngs_wifey05 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I was the first grandchild on my mom's side, spoiled beyond rotten and absolutely adored by my aunts and uncles (I lived with them and my grandparents when my mom parents divorced and my mom went back to college.) When my Aunt Linda was going to have a baby (I was 3), she and I talked about it all the time, we picked out clothes together, bought toys, talked about how we were going to take care of the baby... I was so excited for the baby to be born. I was at the hospital (in the waiting room) when Charles was born and I remember being so happy that I just danced around the room when I found out he was here. I think if everyone includes this little girl in on their own excitment, she'll be very happy to make room for the new addition.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2009