My mom's bloodwork came back...

they only thing they found was high sodium levels. she finds it strange because she claims she doesn't consume a lot of salt, but sweets, yes. so she isn't sure how to cut down on the salt when she doesn't really eat a lot of it anyway? i told her, don't add salt to your food. use it only for cooking, and a pinch goes a long way. i noticed when she was here saturday that she added salt to her scrambled eggs after i cooked them. i figure little things like that might help, but any other ideas? she's going to her doctor today to follow up so hopefully she'll know more about this later

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Health

• Watch the processed and canned foods. They are VERY high in sodium.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• just about EVERYTHING we eat has sodium in it. Unless you are making everything at home, packaged foods are full of it - bread, pasta, sauces, canned anything, cereals, if it's in a box, can or bottle you can be sure it's got some sodium in it. Even fruits and veggies have naturally occuring sodium
    My uncle is in kidney failure and must eliminate sodium, potassium and calcium or limit it to an impossible number. We've learn a ton about sodium and what it's in... which is almost everything. Essentially he can't eat out or buy pre-made food. He can have waffles (but homemade because the frozen ones are full of sodium, and maple syrup (the real stuff), those are safe. His life has become very bland indeed.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Even sweets have sodium in them. Think about it: your chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for salt, I bet. Prepackaged sweets have more sodium than homemade. So she can probably cut out a lot of sodium if she switches to making her sweets instead of buying them. Also, for seasoning, she can try Mrs. Dash. Supposedly, they have no sodium. I've seen ads where they claim to be great for low sodium diets. And they're full of flavor, and lots of different varieties. If she drinks soda, that also has sodium.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Also soft drinks have a lot of sodium in them...If she drinks them, she may want to cut down...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• If she eats a lot of processed, packaged sweets, have her check the labels. Some of those puppies are loaded with gobs of salt as well as sugar!

I'm glad she's following up with her doctor. It must be such a load off your mind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Anything canned, boxed, bottled or frozen is loaded with salt. If she drinks pop - there's tons of it right there- even more if she drinks diet. Anything marketed as "low fat" has double the salt to add flavor. Anything from a restaurant that doesn't have cloth napkins will be loaded with salt because, again, it adds flavor to allow cheaper ingredients. Her best bet - cook everything from scratch.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Processed foods have a lot of salt in them. A lot of foods have hidden salt.  I taste my food before I salt it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Honestly, salt is in everything.... even vitamins, medications, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Sweets have sodium in them
    AromaDrops33

Answer by AromaDrops33 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2013