what age do you start feeding a baby baby foood?

what age did you start feeding your baby babyfood?
is my 4 mounth old son to young to have babyfood?
and if he is old anofe what is stuff he can eat at 4 mounts?
what if he woutn eat?

youngmmom

Asked by youngmmom at 12:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• doctors say 4 mnths is good.. Like I just told someone else in another question.. you probably want to start with rice cereal first, it is the most hypoallergenic and least likely to cause any type of reaction in a small child. Mix it with breastmilk or formula, only a tablespoon or so to start with. It takes a little while for them to get the hang of eating it so most of it will end up on the bib (make sure you have one!) Once he/she gets the hang of the cereal you can try adding some veggies, then fruits. They say by 9 months they should be eating 3 meals a day.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i started feeding both of my kids solids at 4 months...just start out with a little rice cereal...mix it with juice or breast milk or formula...it will take a while to get used to but once you get them going they love it:) hope this helps...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My doctor told me to start at 4 months. To try the single grain cereals first with about 4 days at a time on each one, there is rice, oatmeal and barley. After you try those you start on vegetables, the orange ones then the green, after you have tried those you try the fruits and then you can start mixing it up. After mine got through all the fruits and vegetables she basically went to the number 2 jar babyfood. Im not sure about the meats, they have number one meat but that seems to thick for her so Im not doing meats yet???
    christil567

Answer by christil567 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• check for signs of readiness.
    baby will let you know when he or she is ready.

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• AAP recommends 4-6 months

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

I started at 4 months, some moms start earlier and some later. The best person to listen to on this one is yourself. Only you have the mommy instincts for your child, not anyone else.

I would start with rice cereal mixed with bm or formula and keep on that for a bit while he learns how to eat from a spoon (follow the mixing directions on the box for 1st feeding). That's just my opinion though. And if he won't eat it then stop and try again later. Good luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i started feeding my son baby food at 4 months old. 4 months is not too young to start them on solids in fact it is the perfect time. my son ate the 1st foods of gerber--every single one of them and he just started having rice cereal at 5 months old. he is on 2nd foods of gerber now since he is 6 months old. if your son wouldn't eat don't force it on him...it takes time to get them to get used to the spoon and not to suck the solid food like they would a milk in a bottle. hope this helps. goodluck!
    rgie_wermager

Answer by rgie_wermager at 1:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• UMMMM... sorry maggie but the AAP recommends starting solids between 4 and 6 months. look here:

julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 2:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ok. ppl on here and in the world today are gunna tell you not untill hes 6months. But w/e! Don't listen to the crap they tell you! When we were all kids and our mothers n fathers were kids..we got like mashed potatoes at like 2months n whiskey on our gums for teething! So we all survived! But I started to feed my baby the rice cerel at 2months n the 1st n 2nd (pre much the same!) at like 41/2 ta 5months. Hes 5months now n my plan is I feed him "supper" with babyfood, when hes 51/2 i'll feed him "lunch n supper" n then when hes six months i'll go to 3rd stage probley n feed him "breakfast Lunch n Supper". N ya just look for the signs hes ready to eat! My son would open his mouth everytime we ate something thats how I knew! lol N since hes only 4months..if he don't like it..its okay! Try something else!
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• well we might as well be talking about vaccines or something b/c you will gets lots of answers. I would not feed him any solids until ATLEAST 6 months. Their digestive sytems just cant or should not have to digest it. A baby can go 12 months on formula or boob juice alone. I waited until my son started wanting my food. he was 10 months old. And I skipped rice cereal b/c it is a crap filler. He eats sweet potatoes, avacodas, peas, carrots, prunes, pears and applesauce. All 1st stage foods that are organic or I make them. Here is a site I used. GL

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009