What vacations have you taken and where/how do you recommend going?

If you'd like to be extremely helpful please include costs and pros and cons of travel.

(I have an infant and a pre-schooler)

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Travel

• Went to disney world, would recomend it.
    Went to Italy, we liked it.
    Whe my DH was in the Army we went to Germany for 3 years. Did some looking around their. Love Germany.
    Went to England too.(London). Love it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• What kind of vacation do you want? Beach? Staying in the US? Leaving?

When my older 2 were 18 months & 3, then 3 & 5 we took them to Jamaica, to a place called Franklyn D. Resort. It was all inclusive and including a vacation nanny to help with the kids. I know there were other places in Jamaica like it as well. Mind you this was a while ago, that 5 yr. old is now 15!

Try a site called Rascals in Paradise

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• With kids, I would recommend Buena Park, California. It's very close to San Diego (and their zoo!), it's close to Huntington Beach, and it has Knott's Berry Farm. Best amusement park for kids of any age AND adults. You can also get hopper passes for the water park. We are four hours from there so we drive, but you can fly in easily and get around from the airport. We go several times every summer, and it is always a great time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Where do you live? Would you want to drive or fly? What would be your ideal family vacation--adventure, relaxing, beach, kid stuff to do--think about what you would all enjoy.

The only time I've traveled with m family was to another state when we moved my boyfriend's parents into assisted living, wich was pretty stressful. I would say if you're going to fly, plan on having Dad entertain the preschooler the whole way while you care for the baby, unless you're willing to pay for an in-flight movie she can watch. It's hard for a little one to sit so long on a plane. I had a backpack full of snacks and activities for mine, and I was stil praying for the landing that couldn't come too soon!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Well, I think money has to be your determining factor... vacations can get out of hand really quickly. Thinking of the vacations we took with our children, I'd have to say the most fun we had was in the Smokey Mountains. We went to Gatlinburg and Dollywood... because those rides are mostly water related, the kids loved it.

We also took them to Colorado Springs.   That was fun too, but they enjoyed Tennessee more.

I went to Disney World as a teenager and the only thing I thought about was getting back to the hotel and swimming... LOL!  

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I took my 4 month old to Grand Cayman and then drove him all over Germany when he was 8 months old. It just depends on your ambition and where you want to go. If you want to go to Hawaii or the Florida Keys with your kids, you go! The Ritz in Naples and Key Biscayne have a zero entry pools for little kids. It was fabulous. We sat there all day. Also, many resorts have babysitting if you're comfortable with that. Resorts really cater to families these days. I avoid Disney not because it isn't fun but because it is outrageously pricey. I'm a travel agent and I've still not taken my kids to Disneyland. I took them to Puerto Rico last summer and Ireland the summer before that because it was cheap! For a fun and inexpensive vacation, I like Vegas. The sun is hot, the pools are plentiful and you can walk around and see all the lights and water shows and the kids like it. PM me if I can help at all.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Depends on how much you want to spend and how far you are willing to travel.

Things I have done and loved:

$
    -Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing.
    -Weekend trips to nearby towns, mountains, and beaches.

$$
    -Roadtrip across the U.S.
    -Backpacking in Alaska and northern Canada
    -Europe: low airfare, cheaper hotels/hostels, lower-cost countries and cities (Italy, France, Gemany, most of Eastern Europe--Hungary, Poland, etc.)

$$$
    -Europe: moderate airfare, moderate hotels, higher-cost countries and cities (England, Scotland, Scandinavian countries)

$$$$
    -Japan
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• As for pros and cons, those are highly personal and we probably have different opinions regarding them. Consider: traveling to non-English speaking countries (although most restaurant/hotel/transportation staff will speak some English), amount of planning (more expensive pre-planned tour trip vs. lower cost individual trip), weather/time of year, physical limitations and demands (for people who cannot walk far or climb stairs, much of Europe may be challenging), visas (hence why I have not been to Russia), traveling with kids (strollers are inconvenient in many countries, unless they are the small, collapsible kind)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2013