My daughter is 16 months and still can't talk is this normal?

At what age should my daughter be able to talk?

JNE90

Asked by JNE90 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What do you mean by "talk"?
    By 18 months, doctors like to see 10 to 20 "words". That's any sound she makes and uses in the same way to mean the same thing every time. For example: one of my daughter's words at 18 months was "balloon". Did she say "balloon"? No. Typical of toddlers, she used sounds she could make in place of ones she couldn't and dropped whole chuncks of the word entirely. Her "balloon" came out as "dee". But if we were in a store and she pointed behind me and shouted "dee", I knew I'd see a balloon when I turned around - so it counted as a word because she was using a sound to communicate an idea or need.
    By 24 months, doctors like to see 2 to 3 word phrases like "mo mee" (more milk).
    By 30 months, you should be able to understand 50% of what she says.
    By 36 months, you should be able to undertand 75% of what she says and be able to have small converstations.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my son is 18months and babbles alot! he still cant put words together.. i think around 2 they should be able to complete 3 or more word sentences. you shouldnt worry about it too much though. does she not make any noise at all? or just not words other people can understand?
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 12:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yes she babbles & points to things, so this actually helped me out!!!! Thanks.
    JNE90

Answer by JNE90 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009