What age can most children doggy-paddle?

We don't swim much and wonder if kids learn to doggie paddle more with age or more with just plain practice? My son is 6 and I don't think he can doggie paddle yet... Is that normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• If they don't ever do it they aren't going to learn how. They have to practice just like any other thing they learned to do.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• yes it is normal. my dd can't either and we go to my parent's pool every summer. some kids catch on faster than others. I can't swim so, I wouldn't be a good teacher for my kids lol my dh needs to do that.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Mine is five, and she still wears Water Wings. She won't put her face in the water because her older brother is afraid to also, and what he says goes. I don't know how to get her past that, but I don't think age will do the trick, and she's opposed to swimming lessons because said big brother hero didn't like them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Kids need to be tought how to swim. Even doggy paddle.

Answer by louise2 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I don't think any of my kids know how. They've all been in swimming lessons from about 18 months on and can swim well but the doggie paddle was never "taught".
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• It depends on how often they are in the water to practice. Mine were both doggie paddling by age 3 but they have also been in swimming lessons since 12 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• My son could doggie paddle at 3, but our subdivision has a pool and we are there almost every day in the summer. It's all about how often they get to practice

Answer by missanc at 7:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2013