I heard on GMA..............

More moms now days take anxiety and depressions med to deal with motherhood. Then mothers in past generations.  I was watching that saying, why keep having more kids then if one is to much.

Asked by louise2 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I agree that people take more medication now verses then. I agree it may be a bit misleading. I also think we are more open about the challenges of motherhood, marriage, and being a woman in general. I think women then were more silent about their feelings. I don't know but it seems like communities were closer knit back then than now. It also occurred to me that families usually lived in closer proximity then, too. So, if you were having a little trouble with the children, grandma, mom, aunt so-and-so or maybe an older neighbor lady were usually close by to give you a few suggestions. As to why women would continue to have children after having one and being overwhelmed or depressed or anxious, there could be a million reasons - denial, guilt, pressure from DH or family, lack of education or BC.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I think it's just much more common to take anxiety and depression medication than it has been in the past, period, across the board. Singling out mothers makes the problem seem so much worse than the reality of the situation which is typical of news sources.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• More like the classes and variety of drugs available have expanded, but it's hardly a new phenomenon.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I took medications for anxiety and depression long before I became a mom. But I would be part of the statistics about mothers taking meds, so I think the statistics are misleading.

I think in past generations, people didn't have meds to turn to. They sucked it up and were miserable, or they turned to alcohol, or they got prescriptions for other medical issues.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I think society in general takes more medication now than in generations past. It doesn't seem to be limited to mothers.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Look up Mother's little helper and ou will find that they are wrong
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Dardenella - I was about to say the same thing. The Rolling Stones even sang about it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

That would be why there's a link to it in my answer...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I believe it. The pressures today are ridiculous. And Moms aren't encouraged to ask for help and when they DO muster the courage to ask for advice in say, oh I dunno, an online Mom community they're bullied/shamed/etc. So yeah... bring on the meds
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Wasn't it vodka back in the day? : )
    I do wonder though why have a clan of kids if they are completely stressing you out? I have two, they stress me out. But I take time every day to try and balance the stress with exercise, meditation and Reiki. Sometimes it works, sometimes I know there's vodka in the freezer!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2013