Injured myself doing my workout!

Was doing my circuit training, and twisted my knee. Heard a loud pop, and wasnt able to use my knee correctly for several hours, in fact it was getting worse so i went to urgent care... need an mri but have to wait for swelling to go down. Crutches, braces and ice for now.... bummer!

Any ideas on a modified workout while I heal? I hate to lose all the fitness I just acheived! So bummed.....

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Anything for your upper body that is non-weight bearing... use an upper body ergometer (arm bike) for cardio
    Crunches ONLY if you can bend both knees to protect your low back
    Your swelling will go down MUCH faster if you use compression when you are not icing!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• You can do crunches instead of situps. I screwed up my knee on an obstacle course while in Basic Training. They had me in a hip-ankle brace and on crutches for a week. While I couldn't do full sit ups when we got "dropped" for screwing up, I COULD do crunches. That week of crunches REALLY helped my situp score on my next PT test.

Just lift your torso about 6 inches off the ground as fast as you can for as long as you can.

You could also do pulls in the pal lanes of a swimming pool. There are little wedge things you can place between your thighs to help you stay afloat.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Honestly, wait and see what the problem is first and then hopefully the doctor will recommend that you start PT. The therapist will be able to tell you how much you can do, and give you exercises for home. Keep icing it and try to get that swelling down and try not to do anything that will aggravate it any more.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• This is your body's way of telling you to relax! Wait until you start physical therapy for your knee & then talk to the Dr. or therapist about what you can & can't do. You could hurt yourself trying to exercise while compensating for the injury. IF you MUST do something, just do some upper body work. You'll need strong arms for the crutches anyway. Feel better.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I don't even know what my answer meant, I wasn't laughing at your injury! Just at the fact that your biggest worry was still working out, take it easy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• liar

LOL, whatever you can do on one leg I guess!

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Hey, I knew exercise was bad for your health! Look at tortoises. They hardly move and they live for a hundred years.

Just kidding. I hope you feel better soon!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Take it easy. Give some time to heal.
    bettysch

Answer by bettysch at 5:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2013