A sitcom based in Afghanistan

There's one in the UK, called Bluestone 42. It's about a British bomb disposal squad in the field. Would the idea work in the US, or would people consider it too offensive?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in Entertainment

• I don't think it would work here. I think there are far too many easily offended people in the US.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• There was a fictional show called Combat Hospital "Set in 2006, this medical drama follows the frantic lives of resident doctors and nurses at a military hospital in Southern Afghanistan. The personnel come from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, and other coalition countries. In addition to working through some cultural differences, the professionals strive to provide the best care they can in the middle of a war zone. " It wasn't bad, but it was very fictional

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• It worked with Korea and MASH.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• MASH was a huge hit.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• It worked with Korea and MASH.

But Korea was over.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Personally, I think it's too soon.
    I see the effects this war has had on our son and us as a family. It would be like adding salt to the wound.
    I wouldn't like it at all but then again, our family is personally involved.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• But Korea was over.

That's true but we were in the middle of Vietnam. I think it comes down to the actors and what the comedy focuses on. With MASH they were making fun of themselves and their superiors. Making fun of Afghans or people dying isn't funny. For it to work it takes a cast with chemistry and smart writing. I think they'd have to mix it with drama and the seriousness of war.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I think it would really depend on who's in it and how it's done. It's just like anything else: any show can be a success or a failure. It all depends on the way it's handled.

I'm not sure if I, personally, would watch it. But I'm not huge on watching war shows/movies. I like MASH, and I liked Saving Private Ryan, but I'm just not a big fan of those kinds of shows. I might check it out, and again, depending on who's in it, how it's handled, and the writing, I might watch or might not.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2013