Do you hide a key outside?

After a very scary experience a few years ago where I got locked out of the house and my toddler was inside, I bought a phony sprinkler head to hide a key in and buried it in the grass by our front steps. Lucky thing, too, because today my daughter and I got out to enjoy the weather, which was finally nice. We went to the park to swing, played Little Red Riding Hood and Barbies on the grass, took a walk through the field to look for prairie dogs, had a go on her bike, and then got home to find out I'd left without the keys. (I managed to shake off the blues some, but I was embarrassed because I had to go to the neighbors to ask if my daughter could use their bathroom before we had an accident on our hands.) Anyway, it was nice to have that key hidden.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• We don't even lock our doors. But I do want to get one of those magnetic hide a key things for the car...DH is always locking himself out of the car!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• no i dont.. i cant lock myself out. i have to lock the door with the key from the outside. if i loose or misplace the key, either my bf or my mom will have my other one. if that doesnt work i will call the office and they will let me in. I wouldnt trust anyone where i live anyways, if i were to put a key somewhere im sure someone would see me.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I don't feel comfortable with that. It's not possible for my front door to be locked without a key being used, and its the only door we have to get in through.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Lol! Always have a plan b. :) I don't hide a key, but we have a sneaky way to get in the house in a pinch. ;0)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Like pp, we don't have a key but do have a way into our house.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• no. but our garage door has a code entry...even tho i can never get the damned thing to work!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• No. But we have other ways to enter if we lock ourselves out. Now if the power goes out and we are without keys and the doors are locked, we might be a little screwed...at least for the 25 minutes it would take for DH's parents to get here to unlock!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• No. Our garage door has a push button entry, and my husband can pick our lock if he has to.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• No, but we can't lock the door without the key anyway.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2013