No filters!

I was walking home with my five-year-old this afternoon, and she saw the grandmother of a friend of hers out working in her yard. She stopped and asked the woman if her granddaughter had gotten the birthday party invitation we left by her doorbell. The woman said yes, and then my daughter popped out with, "Well, is that bucket of toys on the porch for me, since I had my birthday?" I told her the friend hadn't come to her party, so she didn't need to get a gift, and she said, "Well, that's not very nice!"

Out of the mouths of babes ...

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes! There is a beauty to these authentic experiences/interactions. (winterglow, that one in the doctor's office about the tooth, such a precious moment of sincere relating.)
    This happens outside of encounters with "the public." I can remember times when my young daughter was frank about how I didn't smell good, or how the pumpkin cookies weren't as good as she'd hoped they'd be! I felt the impulse to give her feedback to ensure she wouldn't say things that "hurt" someone else, which left me thinking about the issue of basically suggesting to a child that people "need" to be protected from the truth, and also the problematic implication that they're responsible for other people's feelings, all because you want your child to be sensitive & considerate. (Then realizing that she by nature was a very sensitive & thoughtful being, and pondering whether honesty actually is in opposition to kindness or caring.)

Right on, musicmaker.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I am a big gal, and I work with young children. I know all about no filters. At least 2 times a year I have a student tell me I'm the fattest person they have ever seen. It doesn't bother me. It's not like I don't know I'm fat. One day a girl said "why are you so fat?" a boy who overheard this turned to her and said to her"My mom says she's on medication" I said "Oh really? What medication am I on?"

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• LOL. One time we were sitting on our porch when the kids were little, and the librarian walked by on her way home for the day.
    My son yells really loud "Mommy! Here comes that big fat lady from the library!!" I could not run in the house fast enough.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• We were in her doctor's office and this old lady comes walking by and she farts. I smell it first and it was all I could do not to gag. Then my dd smells it and ask the lady "what crawled up in her bum and died"? I tried SOOOO hard not to laugh cause it would be kinda rude. But as soon as I opened my mouth to shush her and tell her that wasn't polite, I laughed. Oh god as my witness I really tried. But I had the full belly laugh with the tears streaming down my face. The lady, thank goodness had a sense of humor and laughed as hard as I was and a few others. A few nurses came out to see what was going on and thought we were all high, then they smelled the fart and their hand went to the nose and they went back into the office. That of course started it all over again.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• My nephew said loudly of an older woman in line behind us, who was wearing a LOT of make up, "Hey, why is that lady wearing a mask?!?"
    I wanted a hole to open and swallow me up!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• There was an older woman with a gap between her front teeth sitting in the doctor's office. My daughter said "my sister has just lost a tooth too!"

Or another time, in the supermarket when she asked me LOUDLY if it was me who had just farted. A silence fell around us. I said that no it wasn't. She raised her hand and pointed over my shoulder saying "Oh, then it must have been that man there!" If there had been a stone to crawl under ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Hahahaha!!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Reading this reminded me of a quote (about what people can "stand") from Eugene Gendlin's book "Focusing." Then I saw musicmaker's comment, which basically embodies the idea he's expressing.

"What is true is already so. Owning up to it doesn't make it worse. Not being open about it doesn't make it go away. And because it's true, it is what is there to be interacted with. Anything untrue isn't there to be lived. People can stand what is true, for they are already enduring it." Eugene T. Gendlin
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2013