Does anyone have a link or suggestion for autism rates abroad?

I'm curious to know if other countries share this problem. I hear 1 in 54 boys has autism now in the USA but I have not done the research. I have done some googling but wondered where moms here gather their info? From the doctors or their own research?

I just cannot believe the numbers and I'm wondering if this is a rapid increase or the fact that doctors can finally put a label to this disorder in children???

What could be causing this? Sorry to sound so foolish and I mean no disrespect to anyone about this.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 10:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• Autism Prevalence in Public Schools here is one graph i found

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• I personally think that there are many factors that could be causing this, but mainly our environment. We eat more processed foods, and what we think is healthy (let's say chicken), is feed and injected with chemicals to make them grow bigger faster. We then in turn eat all of these chemicals by eating the chicken. We produce more waste and recycle less. Anyways, as far as other countries go, it will be hard to really compare. For one, many countries do not even consider a diagnosis of autism. Second, it's hard to compare the US statistics to another much smaller countries statistics. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• * ps

i do this elimination diet
    and i used to have migraines all the time
    now i do not
    still get with period, but no other time during month
    used to be on meds for migraines, not any more

the diet helps not just autism

if you know anyone that gets bad migraines... have them take out ALL lake dyes, not a drop...and see if they have migraines anymore
    anyone who has had severe migraines should try this 'diet'
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• JeremysMom, thank you for your reply. I have to wonder about environment/water/food too...You're right about much smaller countries. Hmmmm.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• It would be interesting to see autism statistics for each state though. I wonder if it is the same ratio of diagnosis of Montana as it is New York.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• http://www.feingold.org/

here is a link, NOT for stats on numbers

but how to change diet (not eat the nastiest of the chemicals that are in US foods)

i follow this (not hard) and my daughter has improved tons
    if she does have some dyes by accident, her autism goes from mild/moderate to severe
    ... so goes to show that if she has some of these and her autism is much worst, than not having these makes her autism better

JeremysMom, is correct IMO, it is chemicals that are getting into our bodies

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• fiatpax, very interesting.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• Makes you wonder why Iowa is so much lower than Maine, both places can be cold and both places can be hot and both aren't populated like NYC. Just a random thought but that is quite a chart.

Fiat, what on earth do you eat then? I just googled the salicylate and it's in most fruits and veggies which are supposed to be good for us. Now the dyes, that is another matter....very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• just one graph, do not even know where it came from (besides internet)
    i do know that where i used to live amd where i became pregnant and raised daughter until 3, this county, my old county had much higher amount of kids in spectrum that were in school than the county 20 miles to south.
    we also had out beaches closed first in the summer with high levels of crap too dangerous to swim in. connected? who knows
    ( along lake michigan)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2013

• http://drkendalstewart.podbean.com/

This is long but this Dr. has an interesting perspective on what is going on with autism and other disorders. Talks about T cells being unable to fight infection, needing folic acid and dopamine not breaking down quickly. If you have time, maybe listen and clean the house at the same time. A physician friend sent it to me...???

jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2013