Should I be pissed?

My daughter, third grader, went to participate in math competition outside the school today. By the end she was given problems and her results, than she returned to her school (with other children's parents, I was at work). The teacher asked to see her results and took her brochure with questions and her answers. I feel that the teacher had no right to do so, or at least return it to home. Now I don't know how my daughter did...I think this information is confidential and would prefer to keep it from the teacher...what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Relationships

• I would think the brochure would be your daughters to keep, but ask and find out. No need to get pissed before you know the facts. Hope she did well!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I don't know and think she did not do that well, but I don't think her school teacher had any right to take her results and keep this to herself...sigh...I afraid it can affect my daughter's grade...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• The competition should absolutely be separate from her grade IMO. Contact the teacher and discuss. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I feel that you may be overreacting. The teacher possibly wanted to see the questions so that she could use some of them in class at a later date. I would just ask the teacher to give it back please.

I don't see the point in insisting on confidentiality and I don't really understand the point in keeping information from the teacher.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Take it and look at it is ok to me. But give it back so she can bring it home.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I don't think it should be part of the grade, but I do think you're over reacting. Confidential? Please. It's a bunch of math problems, not her personal health history. Maybe the teacher wanted to see how she did so she could determine if there was anything she needed to help your daughter with.

Just ask the teacher to give it back to you, and let it go. Don't make it a big deal, because it's not.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Did she take the brochures and results from the other children as well?
    She may wish to take a little time to find out where the weak areas seem to be in her class so that she can help them improve. I would go in tomorrow morning and ask
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Since the results were given to your daughter, they must be hers. If they were to be kept by the teacher or school, they would have been sent to them. So the teacher should not have looked at or kept them without your or your daughter's permission. Politely ask for them back.

Answer by Bmat at 8:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Perhaps the teacher wants to see what areas your child needs improvement in and having a look a the brochure will help the teacher figure out her weaknesses and where to put a stronger emphasis. If it was supposed to come home, contact the teacher and ask that they send it home and ask if there was a reason that they looked at the results. If you want to know about your child's education you are going to have to ask about it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• My daughter went to private competition in different school, with three other children. The teacher did not ask those two children, only my daughter. Of course I am not going to do the big deal and simply ask her, but...I would want to see it myself and have a possibility to decide whether I want to show this to her teacher or not.
    Yes, I was very tired yesterday, but was really looking forward to find how my daughter did, instead I found that her teacher did. This teacher generally pisses me off, because she tells children how average or excellent they are. She told me and my daughter several times that my daughter is plainly average and does not give her advanced grades. My daughter's math tests average in 91%, but there are several children that got higher than her, the same with English her tests average in 92%, even though we are non native English speakers, yet still she thinks that she deserve only 'proficient' ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2013