He didn't ask us...just brought the damn thing home? I hate my Step Son

MY 27 yr old SS that has never worked, sleeps until 5 or 6 every evening and is basically worthless brought a dog home last night.

His older brother gave it to him. It's half Pitt and half lab. It's huge and hasn't stopped barking all night. The dog is penned right outside my DD's bedroom. Poor thing has major state tests tomorrow and we've been up all night. I'm at my wits end.

I can't say anything to SS or he will tear the house up in a temper tantrum. I'm taking this damn thing to the humane society tomorrow morning. I'll wait until he goes to bed, usually around 6 or 8 in the morning and sneak off with it.

Am I wrong? We can't afford to feed it. We are on food stamps and barely making ends meet. We have a neighborhood full of small kids. This dog could hurt one of them.

I'm so upset at DH for not telling that bratty son of his to take it back. He just sat there glued to a movie and said hopefully it will stop barking. It's 4 am....and hasn't stopped yet. DH and SS are sound asleep in the far side of the house. I just woke DH up an hour ago and he blew me off.

How do I get this man to understand and listen to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Relationships

• In all honest the dog is just a symptom of a bigger problem. Why doesn't your DH respect you and the things you want and feel? Before you return the dog you need to have a family meeting about why your SS thought it was okay to bring the dog home and if he throws a fit and destroys the house call the police. Apparently he is a brat that has never faced the consequences of his actions and I would say that DH and SS should return the dog not you.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I would use the dog as an excuse to put SS out to fend for himself. He has no sense of responsability and it's time he acquired one. Do you own or rent your home? If you rent you might find that the dog is not allowed ...

What's with your DH's attitude? Why does he allow his son to become a loser? Why does he ignore your concerns?

By the way, why did the older brother give the dog away? Was there a problem with it?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Why are you enabling him by letting him stay with you if he isn't working or trying to go anything with his life is the more important issue by the sound of it
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Ss's mother died at birth and the family has babied him since. DH is a good man, please don't get wrong. We are struggling right now since DH lost his job.

The older SS, according to younger SS, didn't have enought attention to give the dog so be gave it to him. I'm thinking about calling my older SS this morning and telling him that he takes it back or it goes to the humane society.

Seriously, SS sleeps all day. Who here is going to give it attention. This dog is huge. It deserves a big yard to run and play. Not a 9 by 9 pin outside my DD's bedroom.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Princesss, when DH and I met and married SS was in HS. He dropped out, got his ged( finally) and never amounted to anything. It's been a down hill spiral for years. Nobody sees it but me. Oh, older SS complains at times when he tries to call him at 6 in the evening and he's not up yet.

DH justs says his mother died giving birth and he needs to be on disability because he cant function in life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• It shouldn't even be outside your DD's door. It should be in SS's bedroom. Let HIM deal with it until it leaves.

I understand that your DH is a good man but why do both of you continue to enable your SS to be a loser? Light a fire under him.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I swear I don't enable him. I stopped years ago cooking separate meals for him because he is picky. If he doesn't like what I cook he calls grandma and she will go get him take out.

I no longer do his laundry. Which he does every 6 months. He wears the same clothes for weeks at a time. I don't care. I refuse to do his laundry.

The dog is outside her bedroom windows in a small metal shed we keep our mower in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Did you say he's on disability? You don't get that for just being lazy, there must be more going on.

Answer by missanc at 6:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• No. DH thinks he needs to be on disability because his mother died giving birth to him and he has anger issues. I'd die from embarrassment if DH persuade the disability route. It's ludicrous.

I've said for years that being lazy doesn't qualify for disability.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Let him pursue it and see that he gets denied! Your dh needs to get on board with making his son grow up. Have you asked him what his long term goals are his son?

Answer by missanc at 7:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2013