Do I have to give my baby the fathers last names.

Me and him are not together and we dont get along. I mean he's 18 and Im 19. My due date is may 22, 2013 he hasnt been around or helped me out yet my whole pregnancyso far all he cares about is partying!! I really need help!!

Mommy2Be563

Asked by Mommy2Be563 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Pregnancy

• no,you don't

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• No. You don't even have to put him on the birth certificate.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Even if he asks for a DNA test?
    Mommy2Be563

Comment by Mommy2Be563 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• If he doesn't earn the father title then don't give it to him. Fuck him.
    Even if he ask for a DNA test you don't have to BUT if he does get a DNA test and he proves to be the father he can just take the results to the birth certificate place and get it change. Happened to my kids dad after he found out he had a son before we met but the mother never came forward till the kid was almost 2. He got the DNA test and then change he's last name to his.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• If he asks for a DNA test it has to be complete before h can be put on. The only way to get him on the birth certificate before hand is if YOU ask him to sign an acknowledgement of paternity and he does (so don't even mention it and don't let him know when you go to deliver).. Otherwise it will be your name only and he has to go through the courts for DNA test etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Oh okay! He and I both know he is the father! but he is one of the people that will tell you he will do something and never does! I just dont want my child to have his last name just bc of the type person he is and the way he acts!!
    Mommy2Be563

Comment by Mommy2Be563 (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• No, you don't. Even with DNA.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Thank y'all So much!!
    Mommy2Be563

Comment by Mommy2Be563 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I would assume that he needs to pay child support, and even if he is on the BC you don't have to give the child his last name, but depending on what you want, either giving up his rights, or paying child support needs to be thought through carefully.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• No you don't but you do need to put him down on the birth certificate as the baby's father.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2013