IEP -School says teachers can't give me a schedule of assignments for the week

My ADHD son is 6th grade, has an IEP. I requested at the start of the school year to be given an assignment schedule for the week for each class. And for any projects requirements or resource sites. They tried to say the school web site would provide everything, just give it a try. I did and it certainly didn't give me close to what I need to keep my child on track. After adjustments through the year I TOLD them I wanted a syllabus type paper for the week. I'm being told it isn't possible because assignments and schedules can change be changed day to day, minute to minute depending on how the week goes. GIVE ME A BREAK! So send me a follow up. Don't without the whole thing.

Indiana school, any helpful advise on what I need to get this?

Moeff

Asked by Moeff at 11:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sorry I am with the school on this. It is very hard to do it Maybe switch schools? Or ask for a daily summary? Teachers can't work around what you want.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I am with the school on this as well.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• So you don't think these teachers have a plan before they start there week. They write nothing down just go in and wing it day by day. And if you don't have a child in school with learning issue DON'T ANSWER. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I DEAL WITH!
    Moeff

Comment by Moeff (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I DO have a child that has learning issue AND in IEP. I just think you are expecting way to much. yes teachers plan in advance but like they said things change and so do schedules. They can't go by what YOU expect. They go by how things flow. Like for example they planned a week in advance but instead of doing what they have planned Friday they did it Wednesday instead because things were brought up in Tuesday lesson and they wanted to flow Tuesday and Wednesday together instead of changing the subject and bring it up again.
    If you can't handle it then you should home school and you can go by your own schedule and not expect a teacher to do your schedule.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Does your kid have a daily planner? Maybe ask that the teacher help your son to write in his assignments daily?
    And I DO have a kid with an IEP. My son has autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I have 2 boys with ADHD, and yes, you are expecting too much. They told you that plans change, depending on how things go. Meaning that if the kids aren't listening, or aren't grasping something, it might take longer to get through it. You are demanding something they can't do. Ask for a summary of what was done each day - that is doable.

And yelling at people that we don't know what you're dealing with isn't going to get you what you want. I DO know what you deal with, and I still think you're being unreasonable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I don't agree with the school, at least not fully. My teenage stepson has ADHD, and while his parents couldn't get a weekly schedule because of the reasons stated in the original question, they had all of his teachers write quick notes each day that said what the homework was, and the next day he had to take back the signed notes along with the homework. He went from failing to only one credit short of graduating on time. Stick to your guns. Tell the school that if your idea won't work, then according to the IEP, they need to help you find a plan that will. Bottom line, you need to know what your son's assignments are and when they are due. Don't settle for anything less.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I'm not asking that it is set in stone. I need a heads up on what to expect. And there is only one middle school for the whole county. I'm not a teacher and quitting my job is not an option. And I sure can't afford private school. I take him to counseling, tutors, I sit with him every night and help him do homework and organize. I'm not just sitting here with my thumb up my butt doing nothing for my child.
    Moeff

Comment by Moeff (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Ask for a DAILY summary not a weekly. I like PP idea of the day planner. That's a great idea.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Nobody said you were doing nothing. You've gotten some good ideas. It sounds like you're really frustrated, which is understandable, but some of that frustration is spilling over onto the people who are trying to answer your question and give you some new things to think about.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2013