POTTY TRAINING HELP!!!

So my son is now 3 and was almost fully potty trained in February. This last month he has regressed 100%. We are back to square one except now it's even worse. It was soooo easy to potty train him before. Now he throws a fit whenever we even ask him to sit on the potty and refuses to go. And as soon as he leaves the bathroom he will just go in his pull up. We have tried rewards and that hasn't worked, now my husband thinks he is old enough to be disciplined for not going on the potty chair. That doesn't work either. It only makes matters worse. The problem is we are out of ideas. Do we just wait? He moved up a class at daycare because he was potty trained and now I am worried he will have to move back down to the "baby" class because he isn't anymore. I am so frustrated and not that I am embarrassed of my son but I do find it embarrassing when we are out and he is older than all the other children, yet the only one still pottying and pooping in his pants. Please give me some advice on what to do!

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In a calm, quite moment TALK with him. Ask him if there is ANYTHING about going potty that scares him. My son was about that age when he told me that there were monsters in the toilet that were trying to get him/his poop when he pooped. Hindsight says that it was the splashing hitting his butt that scared him.

Anyway, We set up a step for him and showed him how to squat on the toilet seat to poop. We didn't have many more problems after that. He was FINALLY fully potty trained at 4-4.5.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• What has happened between February and now? Have there been changes in your son's diet, in his routine? Anything stressful in his life? New baby? Could he have a medical issue?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• He has been going to daycare more often but there's no way around that. I have had a recent change in jobs and it's too soon to take any time off during the week.
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Never discipline a child that doesn't use the potty. that will make it way worse. Maybe hide the pull ups?
    Maybe tell him if he doesn't start using the potty he will be moved away from all his friends and put in the new room.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• My DD did this. In the end, I just gave up and put him back in diapers. Except they were cloth diapers that didn't absorb the wetness so he could feel when he peed. That lasted for about a week and then he decided that the potty was more preferable than sitting in his own muck.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• DS - not DD
    ABeaverhausen

• I like the cloth diaper idea. Or maybe just plastic underwear.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Stop fighting about it, that only makes it a control issue and you will lose that fight every time. I would just put him back in the diapers or, if you don't want to revert fully, buy the thicker training pants and a pair of plastic pants to go over them. Once he gets used to the changes that have gone on, your working more, the new preshool room, he may go back to using the potty without a problem.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• i think it might have something to do with the daycare. find out what they do different in both classes. maybe he misses his friends he made there, or maybe they have more snack time or something like that. but i really believe if you talk to the daycare you might find out why he did it.
    instead of fighting to retrain him, find out why you have to retrain him. then it'll make it a lot easier on everyone.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Just stay consistent with what you've been doing. Some children just regress for no particular reason. Sometimes it's a change in their routines, upset going on around them, or just because they miss being the baby and think that wearing diapers will keep them there awhile longer. Does he have a favorite thing he likes a lot: Hot wheels cars, transformers, cake, etc... something he really wants? Get a calendar and every time he uses the potty like he's supposed to, put a star on that date. Tell him when he gets 20 stars (you make up the number) then he will get the thing he likes. When he has an accident, tell him that you will have to take away one of his stars because he didn't use the potty like a big boy. He will catch on pretty quick. He will also adjust to the new changes. He will more than likely be coming to you every two minutes needing to go to the potty so he can get his prize faster.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2013