Did you and your husband disagree a lot on what to name your child/children?

what were some of the names you couldn't agree on together and how did you come to a compromise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Baby Names

• His first suggestion was to use a combination of both of our first names which was NOT going to happen. The only other name he even came up with was Zachariah which I don't dislike, but it's too much of a mouthful IMO and I really don't like the nickname "Zack". I came up with the name we eventually gave our son, his only opposition was that he had a friend who had a nephew with the same name. SO? I met the kid once, our families aren't close (nor do they even know each other), and I think they live far away. So we used it. I decided on the one letter we changed in it as well.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• My husband hates the 'hippy names' I pick for girls. Names he turned down this last time were Meadow, Jessamine and Violet. We compromised with Emerald but ended up having a boy, so all the arguing was for nothing. We seem to come to an agreement with boy names quicker although some of my favorite boy names he would NOT let me use were Brody and Sebastian. I usually make a list and then we go through it and he tells me what names he hates and which ones he likes and then we argue and then we compromise.

Our two girls are named Schylar Celeste and Avalon Brittny and our boys are Owen Matthew and Chase Riley.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• We agreed very readily on a girl's name, but we never did pick out a name for a boy we both liked. It was a lucky thing we had a girl.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• We had the book 1001 baby names
    We took turns going through it and checking off the names we liked. We had agreed on a girl name,Julianna,but we couldn't seem to agree on a boy name. Finally one that he picked just rang true in my head,and stuck

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I did with my ex. He wouldn't agree to anything. We settled on the only makes he suggested and agreed to (except Wolfgang - that one I discarded!).
    With my husband, we pretty much agreed on both.

Answer by missanc at 1:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• We originally agreed on Jamie for a boy or girl, but when it was clear that we were having a girl, DH changed his mind. So back to the drawing board! We disagreed on all but one girls name, so naturally, that's what we went with. We only had to come up with one name, so it worked out.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• a lot. I loved the name Olivia but a few days before my DD came he told me he hated it. He liked the name Savannah but I disliked it a lot.
    With my DS I like Conner or Liam and he liked Conner but he had a friend who named his son Connor and didn't want to sue it but he liked a lot of crappy names so I told him to pick of the two i liked since he pretty much picked our DDs name.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Yes we didn't agree at all. DH wanted to name our DD Hazel Rashel, and our DS Jim ( not James just Jim). I liked names like Kate, Evelyn, or Jossie.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Nope. Never disagreed one time about any of their names.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• The girl's name, no disagreement - Rachel Susanne. The boy's name, yeah, not so much. He wanted all kinds of crazy weird names like Royce, Reese or Riker. I wanted more traditional names like Benjamin or Adam. We finally agreed on the name Aaron with the traditional spelling. Not the stupid way he wanted to spell it.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2013