Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you do it?

My daughter started college this year and is wanting to move out closer to the school. She changed her financial aid stuff but it said she would only get about 1000 more than she gets now, which means she will have maybe 2000 after books and whatnot. There is NO way she can live on that and we cannot afford to pay for housing for her. If she lives with us- they still consider our income, but she cannot move out either-

some days, it would be better to be seriously broke : /

she plans to talk to financial aid- and see what they say


Asked by charlotsomtimes at 1:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 45 (203,838 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • roommates. in my area you can rent a room in an apartment independent of the other renters. so that if someone defaults on the rent youre not liable for the bill.
    the school may have info. the apartments i am talking about are through the housing service.
    also she should be eligible for work study she can only work 20 hours but it is at minimum wage. if she can keep the job through the summer she should be able to get as many as 40 hours
    the great thing about work study jobs is that they are scheduled based on your classes

    Answer by feralxat at 1:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

  • Yup. Sucks. Many financial situations are lose-lose.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

  • She has tried to find a room mate and had no luck...

    Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

  • she wants to work at the school- but we live about 45 min from it now and busses only run so late...she is also worried about labs and such since she wants to change to nursing- she says they can go until like 8 pm and just thinks it would be better if she lived near the school.


    Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

  • I don't think there's a way to do it without a roommate. Most college kids have them. Ive had a lot of college kids babysit for me to supplement their income.

    Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

  • If she contacts the school they may be able to hook her up with a room mate. If not see if she can find an efficiency apartment. You might also check with some churches in the area. Often there are seniors that have a spare room in exchange for helping keep the house clean, mowing the grass, etc.

    Answer by baconbits at 2:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

  • A part time job for her might help out, ever consider this? and roommates are a great option, and normally universities have posts up all over campus for people looking for roommates...

    Answer by older at 8:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2013