Worried mother needs advice (this is for my neighbor)

her 9yo daughter has been complaining of stomach cramps for he past two months. took her to the drs and doc told her that she could start her period anytime now. she needs some advice on how to talk to her daughter about and where to find child sized pads and tampons (that's all mamma uses).

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

she has two kids the daughter and a 7yo son. she's always hidden when she had started from both of them. and her mother never had the talk with her so she isn't sure what to say or do.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Tell her to go buy pads!! Why does she have to wear tampons at 9? Not a great idea. Possiblity of infection is too high, she may forget to change it. WTH?
    Anonymous

• Just because Mom uses tampons, doesn't mean the kid has to. Start her off with pads and panty liners.. she's still a young kid.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I don't think there's any such thing as "child" size pads or tampons. There's junior tampons, but that's about it. Personally, I think it would be better to start with pads and leave tampons until she's a bit older, but that's up to them to decide.

She really should have been talking about this with her daughter all along, it would be so much easier now. But at this point, I think her only real option is to just sit down and be blunt. She's 9, she will start her period at some point although no one knows when, and this is what it is, how it works, why it happens, blah blah blah.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Tampons might be painful for a small girl to use, especially if the mother is squeamish about showing her how to put them in. My mom got a book from the library called "Growing Up and Liking It" that had all the basic info in it. I don't remember the author, but the questions were answered by a couple of fictitious girls who were in the midst of puberty, so it was easier to relate to than just plain scientific information.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• mamma has to wear them not the daughter, she just wants to give the daughter an option. she just wants to know where to get them. some one posted a question like this a few years ago but i don't remember where they said.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Kotex U

Answer by missanc at 2:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• thanks ladies, personally i feel the same way about pads vrs the tampons. but it really is her choice. (i have to keep telling myself that too.)
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I got my daughter a bookcalled "growing up girls", it helped explain the changes she was going thru, 9 seems a bit young to start her menstual cycle and of course once she starts she can get pregnant too......I assume she's not dating at age 9 but you ever know anymore. I would also recomend pads, they are just easier in general.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2013