Traveling with a 3 year old

My husband and I are moving out of state and it's 2,093 miles to our destination. We will be driving.
Any advice and or safety tips?
Thanks!

jeffsgirl9

Asked by jeffsgirl9 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Travel

• We always stop at rest area's to eat snacks, take a ball and let your 3 up run around a little bit to stretch his legs. Also a DVD player can be your best friend! But don't turn it on in the beginning of the trip. Hold out until he's super bored.

Answer by missanc at 2:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I'd bring lots of things to keep him active when you stop for breaks... Bubbles, a ball, maybe his trike if you have room. Get him good and worn out everytime you stop so he will be content in his car seat. Then have non sugary snacks and drinks for in the car, along with lots of baby wipes for spills and sticky hands. I'd also pack surprises for along the way. Small games, toys etc that you bring out one at a time when he gets bored. Plus a DVD player, and a cuddly blanket for naps
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Bring plenty of healthy snacks, which will keep you from giving in and buying junk food at gas stations along the way. Lots of storybooks, DVD's, music CD's for the car, and find a few parks along the way if the weather is warm enough.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Be ready for it to take a little longer, as you will be stopping more frequently. Have plenty of books, coloring books, snacks and other things to keep your little one occupied. A portable DVD player is a great thing, if you have one. Get one of those lap trays for your little one if you can. Makes things so much easier! We always try to stop about every 1-1/2 to 2 hours for at least 15-20 minutes for potty breaks and to run around a little bit. Most rest areas have some kind of playground equipment, but if not a good game of Chase Me works too. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Yup. DVDs. Favorite toys. Lap trays for coloring. Magna doodles, snacks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• All great ideas! I'll start making a list :)
    I'm super nervous about this trip but excited at the same time.
    I just want our lil one to enjoy it and be comfortable
    jeffsgirl9

Comment by jeffsgirl9 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2013